forty seven

The landing on Onderon is not the smoothest but it'll do

The landing on Onderon is not the smoothest but it'll do. I pop the top of my X-wing and jump out.

I quickly run towards the barn and I feel Poe on my heels. I skid into my mother's office and nearly slam into her desk.

"We have to go." I say breathlessly.

My mother stands up. "Why? Go where?"

"The First Order. They're coming." Poe says.

My mother stares me straight in the eyes, not even glancing at Poe. "Wren," She starts. "What did you do?"

"Our reconnaissance flight didn't go so well. We got caught, and couldn't destroy the fighters. Right before we jumped, four Star Destroyers popped in. I think the TIE's have some of that lightspeed tracking in their system." I place my hands on my hips. "And why is it always my fault?"

My mom pinches the bridge of her nose. "Just...just...go and get the ships ready. We leave as soon as possible."

Poe nods at my mother before turning and walking out of the office.

"Mom. Do we even have a place to go?" I ask once he's gone.

My mother sighs. "We have found a few habitable planets. They're also good to start Rey's training."

"Oh. Right." I have to keep myself from rolling my eyes. Rey. Always Rey.

"I know you're jealous Wren, but there's no need-"

"Jealous?" I ask incredulously. "You think I'm jealous of Rey? Never! I have everything I want. A boyfriend, a family, a home. Just because Rey has a glow stick doesn't make me jealous." I spit out sourly.

"Wren. Come now. Rey has a family and a home too."

"Well it's not here." I say, crossing my arms.

It's awkwardly silent for a few seconds. Finally, I speak up.

"I've got to go pack." I say. I spin on my heel and head towards my barn stall. Quickly, I stuff everything in the room into a duffel bag and swing it over my shoulder.

I walk to my X-wing and throw the duffel bag in. Something catches my eye and I turn to see Poe waving me over to a holotable.

I quickly walk in his direction and I'm soon joined by Lula. We arrive at the holotable.

"What's going on Poe?" I ask.

He taps a couple buttons and a diagram of two Star Destroyers pops up. "The First Order." He says. "They're nearly here."

I bite my lip. "How long do we have?"

"From what it looks like, thirty minutes." Lula pipes up.

It's silent.

I glance over at Poe and see him fidgeting with his necklace. I guess it's a nervous habit he has.

"Alright. Here's what we do. Get as many non pilots as you can into ships. Have them jump to wherever planet we're going to. Then, get our fighter pilots into the air. Once everyone's gone, the fighters can jump."