Final selection! {Demon Hunting}

March 5th

Haruto barely being able to stand up next to his giant burning torch out of breath says.

Haruto: Rengoku...I've finished.

Rengoku: Haruto Nakamura! You passed. You will now go into the final selection!

Token: Tsk.

Token walks back inside and shortly after Rengoku and Haruto walk inside as well. Rengoku is cooking something for the boys. The two boys are on the opposite sides of the room acting like the other doesn't exist. Token sits there painting a mask, while Haruto sits on a sheet while he cuts his hair with clippers back to its original length. He takes his hair and slicks it back then puts it in a wild ponytail.

Rengoku: Alright! Here you guys go! This'll be delicious!

Rengoku hands them bowls of soup and a plate with rice and meat and all sorts of food. Rengoku starts eating his plate and shouts stuff like "UMAI!" while eating. Token and Haruto both eat and once they finish, he hands them uniforms to wear and swords.

Rengoku: I had these uniforms made just for you guys! And the swords are my own swords so they're dyed the same color as mine!

They pull the swords out and it's exactly like Rengoku's sword. The boys go to sleep and wake up the next day to leave for final selection. Token puts his uniform on. It's a red yakuta that fades into orange at the top. He then puts a Haori on which has orange flames at the bottom with "燄" on the back (flame kanji). He then puts his mask on and leaves early in the morning without saying goodbye.

Haruto: Alright!

Haruto puts his uniform on. His uniform is a pure crimson red uniform with an orange flame on the back of it. Haruto cleans his earrings and puts them on.

Haruto's earrings are like tanjiro's except there's a purple circle in the middle with purple lines swirling into the circle.

Rengoku: Alright Haruto, make it back in one piece alright?

He smiles at Haruto

Haruto: Of course I will!

Haruto leaves and makes it to the final selection area. There's these beautiful purple trees and tons of people there. For some reason Haruto feels so much pressure that he doesn't even bother looking for Yui, Tatara, or Token.

Haruto (thoughts): Sumire...I'll make it out here alive so I can protect you once you wake up. Me, Tatara, Token. We'll all make it out for you.

They're let into the mountain where they have to survive for seven days. Haruto plans to sleep during the day, and move during the night time, so he can sleep without worrying about death. Haruto starts running and out of nowhere a demon jumps down and goes for Haruto.

Haruto (thoughts): Alright. Close in and strike the demon. The neck is their weak point; this demon does look pretty weak.

Demon: Finally....some food...

The demon jumps for Haruto and he instantly cuts the demon's head off.

Haruto: I did it!

Haruto keeps running and gets to an area with thick vines all over the trees. There's also tons of branches that he cuts through. Later Haruto gets to an area where he sees another human while something that looks to be a tree branch stabs the guy in the stomach, then it expands into multiple different branches creating a giant hole through his back. Haruto comes flying in and cuts the branch off. He looks at where it came from and then...There's this giant tree with one huge eye.

Tree demon: Ho-ho. Look what I found here. Another child. How old are you kid?

Haruto: F-fourteen!

Tree demon: HAAAAAA! Finally someone at a better age. Fresher flesh! FINALLY!

The tree slams a branch into the ground and creates a clone of himself out of wood. Haruto quickly cuts the clone in half and it dies away.

Tree demon: Waahaha. A kid with potential! Fine then I'll let you taste this!

A giant lime green/yellow ball appears above the tree demon's head. Then it shoots it like a beam at Haruto which he barely dodges.

Haruto: Holy shit that's loud. The ground seems practically the same so it mustn't have much destructive power.

Tree demon: Where'd you go boy?! I still need to feast on your flesh!

Roots come out of the ground and Haruto uses one to swing himself upwards to the tree demon where he grabs his sword and breathes in.

Haruto: Flame breathing, First form: Unknowing flame!

Haruto dashes forward and cuts a few branches down with a few slashes.

Haruto (thoughts): I won't be able to get his neck like this. Then I'll need an attack that hits his multiple branches, then his head.

The tree demon shoots Haruto before he can prepare an attack with his blood demon art. (the green/yellow beam)

Tree demon: It may not be destructive, but it is very disorienting, isn't it?

Haruto: art.   blood.

demon. death. release

breath

form flame.

first.

Haruto finally gets out of the confusion before he could be eaten.

Haruto: Flame breathing, First form: Unknowing flame, Manifest!

The visual effect of the flame on the sword turns into small fire birds all around his sword. Haruto jumps around quickly, cutting branches and closing in on the demon's head. Then the tree demon tries to slash Haruto, but Haruto cuts its eye, blinding it for a bit.

Haruto: Singing birds of the morning flame!

(Flame breathing, first form: Unknowing flame, manifest. Singing birds of the morning flame. [in total]) Since Haruto can only use the first form he's created many variations of it to adapt to situations better called "manifest". Singing birds of the morning flame is where the user slashes and cuts multiple targets quickly.

Haruto then positions himself while the tree is blinded.

Haruto: Flame breathing, first form: Unknowing flame!

Haruto runs forward and cuts the Tree demon's head off. The giant body of the tree falls with the head falling away from it. Haruto looks at the tree with its eyes healed. It starts to cry.

Tree demon: DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!!!! Dammit, dammit, dammit.. dammit...

he starts to cry harder

Tree demon: Where did I go wrong...

Haruto grabs the tree branch and starts to pray.

The tree notices this and cries even harder as he fades away...

Hey everyone! It's the author! I've decided that I'll start putting fun facts at the end of some chapters so there'll be extra information about the show!

Fact #1: The tree demon would survive daylight by digging tunnels and hiding in them. Turns out, he has a giant tunnel system all around the mountain of the final selection so he can move around with ease.