Brain Tumor Worry (Request for @elbxx_)

Of course I wasn't thrilled to be going today, I put up a fuss the whole entire ride.

I wouldn't even be going today if my mom wasn't so worried that I would get cancer because my grandfather died of brain cancer .

There could be so many causes of how he got cancer.

My mom was mad I gave her attitude, but I do not want to go. I don't want to deal with doctors. And I don't want to have any appointments or needles or anything.

The whole entire ride we barely spoke, I was so nervous, I didn't do anything but contemplate the worst possibilities while looking out the car window.

I could tell that we arrived when I saw a gigantic parking garage and was greeted by random kid statues in the grass on the side of the road.

The walk into the hospital, once we parked the car in the vast garage, was terrible as I slowly trudged behind my mom as she tried to find the way.

We had to sit in a dumb waiting room, filled with random kids and colorful toys and decorations, while we waited for my appointment time.

"Ms. Elba."

Ugh, what are you kidding me, I've barely been sitting here for 5 minutes.

My mom grabbed my arm to cue me to stand up with her and walked us over to a nurse, who stood in a doorway with a clipboard.

"If you'll follow me, please." The nurse said with a smile as we began to follow her down a colorful hallway.

She walked up to a door and changed the flag color to yellow before opening the door and ushering us in.

"Dr. Hemmings will be in shortly." The nurse said before leaving us alone in the exam room.

My mom looked at me before I rolled my eyes and looked away towards the random wall decorations.

I hesitantly took a seat on the cringey exam bed, hearing the paper crinkle ever so loudly as I fidgeted.

I anxiously played with my hangnails before I heard a soft knock on the door.

I looked over to the door and found the source of the knock was Dr. Hemmings walking in, along with two other people in scrubs behind him.

"Hi Elba, how are you today?" He spoke as he took a seat on his rolly chair and then looked between my mom and me when I didn't respond.

My mom glared at me, as I just looked at Dr. Hemmings not knowing how to act around white coats without setting off my anxiety.

I looked over at the other two people in scrubs, standing by the doorway behind Dr. Hemmings.

"So you just came today for a checkup?" He asked my mom since I didn't respond to anything he asked me.

"Well her grandfather died because of brain cancer and this past month she's head headaches and she got scans done and they showed a tumor. So we came to you to take it out." My mom answered as her and Dr. Hemmings had a full on conversation, but I was just looking at the other people in scrubs.

"Is it benign? (harmless)"Dr. Hemmings asked seeming confused and looking at the scans on the computer.

"We don't know yet. We haven't got it tested. We just thought you would take it out and test it. The other doctor recommended you even if it's a simple tumor to get out. " My mom explained as I zoned out.

"Uh, yeah I certainly can do that. My day is open so I will go schedule your surgery and these guys will introduce themselves. You haven't eaten today, have you?" Dr. Hemmings asked, his attention looking directly at me.