"Wow!" -Dr. C. G. (Part 2)

This is part two to the previous chapter "Not bad right, it's just brain surgery." -Dr. John Boockvar

"I remember when I got into the OR, I was immediately put to sleep, which was rather odd to me at first but then I later realized that they had to shave my head, put it in the skull fixation device, numb my head and all of these necessities, which I can imagine would be easier if the patient was asleep, so it makes sense."

"I woke up in this like blue cave, there were sheets above my head, behind me, below me, I was surrounded by blue sheets. My view was limited, I only saw some of the equipment and machines on the right, and absolutely nothing but blue sheet on my left. I remember hearing my neurosurgeon speak up first,"

"Is she awake?"

"I saw a scrub nurse pop her head in and saw that I was awake and looking right at her. There was some  people talking and people moving around before I saw my neurosurgeon come into my view."

"I could tell he was smiling under his mask. He asked me what kind of music I wanted to listen to, to keep me awake, and I replied with Tom Petty, because I tried to take into consideration the likes of my neurosurgeon and neuropsychologist, too. I remember as soon as I heard American Girl come on, he gave me the run down,

"Your head is already number and shaved, and all set up in the skull fixation device, so don't try and move, you shouldn't even feel it. We're going to start, do you have any objections?"

"I answered no and saw him begin to disappear out of my blue cave before I saw the neuropsychologist pull up in a chair kinda beside me."

"It was a weird feeling, not being able to feel your head or move it for that matter. It was like you were completely numb, they used local anesthetic, so I guess that's pretty strong stuff, to put your whole head and brain to sleep. The only time I even felt anything was a slight tug when they were trying to clip back the muscles."

"The only reason I know they were clipping back the muscles was because I had asked what they were doing at that point, because I didn't think I was supposed to feel anything, so I was worried when I felt that tug. The Neuropsychologist seemed worried that I even asked where they were at, she seemed like I was already getting bored, but I wasn't, I just felt the tug. I remember the conversation between my neuropsychologist and the surgeon, they were both so worried.

"Are you okay, Melanie?" I heard my neurosurgeon worriedly ask. I don't mean to worry him, I mean he's poking at my brain, I don't want his attention to be elsewhere.

"She asked what part you just did." My neuropsychologist was backing me up, before I heard my neurosurgeon explain where they were.

"Well as of now, we have retracted the skin and muscles, and about to open your skull and create the bone flap. Are you you doing okay, Melanie?"

"He was so concerned. I tried to explain to my neuropsychologist who relayed the message to my neurosurgeon that I felt the slight tugging of the muscles being retracted, but they were just cautious and told me I might feel vibrations of removing of the tumor, but the only thing I felt was the tugging of muscles."

I took a breather and watched as the class seemed to watch my moves and seemed to be more interested in my story now.

"What's really crazy to me though is how little I remember of my actual surgery. I guess how you're put to sleep for the set up and opening of the incision, and then awake for the surgery, and then back to sleep for the closing of the incision, your brain gets foggy from all the anesthesia. But still, after the Tom Petty songs request and my question of wanting pictures of my open and exposed brain, I honestly don't remember much of anything else, other than flipping through flashcards for the brain mapping and talking to the neuropsychologist the whole time to stay alert and awake."

"But yeah, that's basically it. I remember when my neurosurgeon said he got all of it, and then I was put back under for the closing."

The class was silent.

This time, I think they were just speechless.

"Do you have a scar, is it visible?"

I immediately touched my scar on my head.

I guess it's not too visible.

"Yeah, I have a scar. I guess it's only visible if my hair is parted a certain way. Do you guys wanna see it?"

"Uh, yeah. Scars are super dope." Some random guy from the very back yelled. I've never heard that guy speak up, but I heard he's super smart, and everyone calls him Ash, but I think his name is Ashton.

"Okay well you gotta give me a sec." I said as I turned around, to not show me trying my hardest not to look like an idiot as I try to part my hair to show my scar.

I finally found my hair part from the scar and moved my hair every which way, to reveal my very small baldness and white streak of my scar.

I walked in front of the podium and turned my head to the side and showed off my scar, waiting for my a few seconds before I returned my hair as normal.

"Don't be afraid to show your scar. It makes you look badass." Some random girl called out, I didn't see where she was seated.

But apparently I'm a badass.

——////——////——
A/N

Alright, that ends my inspiration streak. I'm sorry.

It was fun while it lasted.

This part 2 was basically just a flashback and it is quoted because it's as she's telling her class about her experience.