Music & Movie (sat)

I go back over, with a now dusted-off, tuned, and pretty acoustic guitar.

"Can I play you a song?" I ask sitting across from her.

She nods and leans in closer to the guitar.

"Anything you want to hear?"

"Paradise," She grabs her phone.

I hum in response, then start playing the instrumental, singing the lyrics in my head so it made sense to me. For her, she doesn't know the lyrics, so if I just started singing the lyrics, it would confuse her and I don't want to confuse her again. I look up and finally notice she's recording, rocking slowly with the song. I smile, then look back down at the guitar in my hands.

After the song is done, she stops recording and watches it back. I smile as she grins at the phone.

She points at me. "Angel."

"Angel?"

"Your name."

"You're going to call me Angel?" I ask and she nods. "I like that name, but why?"

"You are Angel, me, and Denny."

"I'm yours and Devens angel?" I ask and I feel like my heart just melted as she nods her head. "Okay, you can call me Angel," I smile and she hugs me once I move the guitar onto the cushion next to me. "Did your brother make you dinner, or would you like me to cook you something?"

"Cook please?" She asks and breaks the hug.

I nod and stand up.

"Are you allergic to anything?"

"Nuts, honey, meat."

Okay, so she doesn't like meat, and she's allergic to honey and nuts. I can work with this.

"Do you like eggs?"

She nods and her eyes lighten up.

"Great, I'll whip us up something in a jiffy," she giggles as I say jiffy.

She watches me the whole time I cook, sometimes giving me a questioning look, and once even getting confused to where her emotional animal felt the need to lay on her again. I stop what I'm doing and examine the way I'm moving and cooking. I pick up the mixing bowl and take it over to her.

"I'm almost done, but I want you to try this so far. You like pickles?"

She gives me a small smile and nods. I pick up the spoon and put a small bit on the end with the sweet relish. I hold it to her and she happily takes a bite. She nods with a grin.

"Do you want to help me finish making it?"

She nods and stands, she steps into the kitchen and watched as I put down the bowl.

"Where's your bread?"

She nods again and opens the cabinet door on the island. Inside shows a metal box that she pulls out and places in-front of me. I open the metal to show a home baked loaf of bread. I smile and close the island shut. I lay out 2 pieces of bread in-front of her, then move the loaf to the side. I grab the spoon and take a heap into the spoon.

"Put this all over the bread, like mayo on a sandwich."

She smiles and takes the spoon then carefully placed it on the bread, she spread the egg-salad and giggled when some fell off. She reached over and pick up more, then violently smacked it in the bread with a laugh, I laugh too. She's so funny and adorable, she's an amazing person. She makes my heart melt, and her bright spirit will lift anyone.

She placed the spoon in the bowl and pressed the breads together.

"You like it?" I ask she bites into the sandwich.

She smiles and nods, taking another bite. I fill the empty dog dish, Alex going over and eating his, and I eat mine next to her.

"How about we watch a movie after this? Do you like to watch movies?"

"Disney!" She stands up after swallowing. "I love Mouse," She grabs the remote and turns on the tv, flipping through a few things then presses on old Mickey cartoons.

"Oh, the cartoons?" I ask her, grabbing the dishes and washing them.

"Yes."

I smile as she plops on the couch, her dog laying his head on her lap. She combs her fingers through her animal's golden hair. Once I'm done cleaning I sit next to her. It's already 8 o'clock. He only left an hour ago, and I'm stupidly tired.

My phone dings, I check the message seeing Devens name pops up. I open it. "How's everything? Planning on being home in an hour."

"Going good. Found your old guitar, tuned and cleaned it up, played a few songs for her, then cooked a little something, now we are watching Mickey cartoon."

"Sounds fun, wish I was there for that too."

"Same here, and it is fun. You said an hour?"

"Mhmm, I'm only volunteering so I'm not here long at all."

"That's good"

"It is, I'll be back soon. Let me know if anything happens."

"I will."

"I gtg, I'll be home soon, bye."

"Bye, see you soon."

"Deven?" She asks beside me.

"Yup, he's just checking on us."

She hums a response, then turns back to the screen.

--------

I feel my eyes grow heavier by the minutes, I've managed to keep myself awake for 30 minutes after Deven said he's been here in an hour. But, not it's just too much. I'm dead tired, but I need to keep myself awake for the little girl next to me.

I close my eyes but force myself to stay awake. I feel a weight lay against my shoulder, making me open my eyes. I see the adorable, free-spirited, bright, and happy little 15 year old laying her head on my shoulder as she fell asleep.

A little sleep won't hurt anyone. I think and close my eyes once again, but this time feel myself fall asleep.

-------

I feel that weight on my shoulder and arm being lifted away, I hear whispers but I'm too tired to care, I hear something that sounds like keys moving around, then steps upstairs. I'm still too tired to open my eyes or act about it. I curse myself mentally for that.

"Hey," I hear a husky familiar voice next got my ear. I finally open my eyes, seeing Deven standing there. "Tired?"

I nod my head slowly and straighten my neck.

"Come on," he grabs my arm, wrapping it around his shoulder, his other hand grabbing my waist to hold me up. "Let's get you to bed."

"I'm good with the couch." I yawn out and he laughs quietly.

"No, you need an actual bed." He says and we start going up the stairs. I comply, but he still needs to keep me in his arms. We enter a plain room, looking familiar to his. He sets me on the bed. "You okay?"

I hum, and pull off my shirt, I slid under the blanket. "Thanks," I mumble out while looking up at him with one eye closed.

"Of course, sleep well. I'll cya tomorrow morning." He lays his hand on top of my head leaning down. He stops, then leans back up and walks out.

What was that?