Weird (mon)

"Hey Deven," I smile at him as he walks to the counter with Maiya. "Hey May."

"Angel," she cheers happily seeing me.

"You want the normal?" I ask him and he nods. "You disappeared this weekend?"

"Yeah, Sorry. After I left your place I was helping May all day, then I volunteered all day yesterday, so I forgot to respond to everyone," May looks at him with a confused look, he smiles down at her and she nods.

"It's fine, I understand you are busy, I get that," I smile sadly, and he nods, taking out his debit.

I send off his cups, he looks tired, worn out, exhausted. I give May a questioning look, then motion to her older brother. She uses her pointer finger and traces a circle in the air atop her head.

"A halo?" I whisper to her, she nods. I send the transaction though, he punched in the pin, then removed the card. "I'll talk to you guys later?"

"Yes." She smiles, Deven nods and smiles slightly, then grabs her hand. "Bye-bye Angel."

"Bye May, cya Deven." I wave at them then go to the lady behind them.

He's acting weird. I wonder if he is okay. He didn't respond to my messages yesterday. I didn't text him frequently, but I did message him. He didn't even read them, I'm stuck on Delivered. Seeing him show up here kinda made me relieved because I knew he was okay. I know I have his address, so I can just go over if I get too worried about him, but I didn't want to rush over and be rude.

Also, a halo? What did a halo mean? I know she understood my message "what's wrong with him?" And she drew a halo... what does that mean?

"Hey, stop acting weird," Tess pats my back.

"Are you okay?" Mal asks and I just nod.

"I'm fine, just thinking."

"Well, get your head off of the clouds, we got work to do."

"Tessa, would it kill you to be a little nicer?" Mal crossed her arms at Tess.

"I keep work and friendships separate. Later we all know I'm going to go over there to question him."

"Please don't, I got enough going on."

"Like what, studying or something like that? You need something to vent to. You stressed and I don't know why, I might be your boss at work, but I'm still your best friend."

I look to the door and catch a glimpse of their leaves out of it. May is looking back at me with a sad expression, but she still follows her brother grabbing his hand. He looks even more hurt.

"I'm calling my break," I call to Tess, then go to the back after the girl I was helping left. "Blake, cover for me."

"Okay..."

Why do I feel like I need to go after him? I feel like I need to tell him everything will be okay. I feel like I need to force him to talk about what's making him feel like this. But, it's none of my business. Is it my fault? The halo thing would make sense because they call me Angel, and he seemed hurt that I didn't remember what happened the night I was drunk. My skins itching. I want a cigarette, I want to get high and forget everything.

"What's going on?"

"Tess, I think I might've fucked up. I don't know-how, or what I did, but I think I fucked up somehow."

"What do you mean? What's happened? Does it involve Deven?"

"Yeah," I sigh and nod. "I don't know, so just hear me out."

--------

"Yeah, sounds like something went on. None of us bothered following you out, so we don't know what happened. all we know is he ran out after you, and then you went home. I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you about that. For now, don't think too much about it. Our 15 is up, so we have to head inside, but we'll definitely talk about this later and figure it out together, okay?"

"Thanks Tessa."

"Of course Max, I got you Babe" she lays her hand on my back, then starts pushing me to the door. "No more sappy shit, let's go back."

"You doing better?" Blake asks as I walk past him.

"Yeah, I just needed a breather."

"You didn't light up again, did you?"

"No, I truly didn't. You know I quit that."

"And you ain't going back, let's go," he pulls us back behind the counter.

Of course, I'm not going to go back, I tried too hard to get here away from that. Having stupid feelings I've never felt before for anyone is not going to change that.

I've never had this feeling as I've completely fucked up and hurt someone. I don't even know if it's my fault, but it feels like it. And, why did I feel like I needed to reach out for him when he was looking so lost? Like I needed to hug him, tell him everything was going to be okay. I needed to apologize, for anything, say I still wanted to be friends, and I still wanted to help with Maiya. I want him to tell me what I did wrong so I could fix it.

I need to do some self-analyzing.