1

Earth 498

Seoul, Republic of Korea

A man walked into an office without knocking and scared the man that was sitting on his chair, "Ah! You scared me Namjoon. At least knock before you come in."

Namjoon chuckled and gave the man something and smiled, "I am quitting the job."

The man scrunched his nose, "It's a government job Namjoon."

Namjoon rolled his eyes, "I know. And that's exactly why I am quitting."

The man narrowed his eyes, "You are our best asset. I can't let you go."

Namjoon huffed and sat on the chair opposite the man's without asking, "It's a free nation and I am allowed to do whatever I please."

The man scoffed, "Oh please. I will terminate your license as a scientist and you won't be able to do your little research."

Namjoon smirked, "I knew you would say that." He takes out something and puts it on the table, "Here are the court orders that you can't do that to me and you will have to accept my resignation."

The man read the notice and groaned, "You are lucky you have the court orders. But a mad scientist like you will never get successful."

Namjoon slammed his fist on the table, "I am not under you anymore. Call me mad one more time and I'll electrocute you so hard that you won't be able to get out of the hospital bad. Just remember, when I'll complete that experiment, I'll smack that machine on your face and then laugh at you." He huffed and left the building.

~

Namjoon scanned his hand on the scanner and the door opened.

Welcome Namjoon-shi

Namjoon smiled, "Thank you Chimmy. Is eomma home?"

Yes, she is. She has been waiting for you.

Namjoon felt proud of his creation and went to the balcony where his mother likes to sit and look at the city. "You came early."

Namjoon smiled and sat on the floor in front of her, "Yes, I came early."

Mrs Kim smiled, "Good. Now let's go eat."

Namjoon smiled and showed her a bag, "I brought your favourite ice cream."

Mrs Kim smiled and kissed his head, "You always take care of me."

After the lunch, Namjoon sighed and looked at his mother, "Eomma, I wanted to tell you something."

Mrs Kim nodded, "Mhmm, what is it?"

Namjoon hesitatingly said, "Umm, I quit my job."

Mrs Kim stopped what she was doing and looked at him, "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?" He took a deep breath and looked at Namjoon, "Joonie, my son. Why would you do that? It was a government job."

Namjoon huffed, "They were chaining me down eomma. They kept me on a project for a year and it was completed in a month. And then they expect me to not do extra work. You know I am working on the model." He explained flying his hands in all directions in frustration.

Mrs Kim sighed and sat on a chair and started crying, "Why are you like him? Why are you after that experiment? You know it took his life and people kept calling him mad. Why do you want me to be called the mother of a mad son?"

Namjoon irritatingly walked up to her, "He was not mad. Appa was not mad. I don't care what anyone thinks." He knelt down to her and looked her in her eyes, "Do you think he was mad too?"

His mother didn't speak anything. Namjoon looked away, "Do you think I am mad too?"

His mother was still silent. Namjoon sighed and took his mother's hands and kissed them. "If you think I am mad too, please forgive your mad son. But I will not leave that experiment."

His mother withdrawn her hand, stood up and stepped away from him, "Do as you like. Just like your abeoji. I don't care." She started walking towards her room and stopped in her track, "Just- just don't die."

~

Namjoon reached his own house and started to take his shoes off. A tray came out of his shoe box and he put the shoes on it and the tray inside.

Welcome back, Namjoon.

Namjoon sighed, "Thank you, Koya. Any phone calls?"

Nope. There is an email from the government telling you are officially free from the duty and you are on your own. They have said that they won't give you a pension because you quit your job.

Namjoon sighed and sat on a chair and rolled to a computer and started typing something, "As expected. Useless people." He stopped typing and narrowed his eyes, "Who taught you to say "Nope"?"

Your nephew Jungkook came by and taught me some modern slang. Interestingly, slang in short for language.

Namjoon hummed and started typing again, "Next time he comes by, text me."

I won't need that.

Namjoon rolled his eyes, "And why is that?"

You will always be home as you quit your job.

Namjoon huffed, "Are you taunting your creator?"

I don't have that function, sir.

Namjoon stood up and started to look around for his files, "Yeah, yeah. I know that. I have made you. Where is the file for the model that I built?"

Here.

A robotic hand comes to him with a binder in it and gives it to Namjoon. Namjoon nodded and said thanks to Koya and went back to his work.

A few hours later, the doorbell rang and Namjoon groaned, "Who is it, Koya?"

Your nephew.

Namjoon sighed, "Let him in."

The door opened and a bubbly, bunny looking man came in. He had a very childish face but a well-built body. "Hey, Koya. Hey uncle Joon!"

Welcome Jungkook.

Namjoon looked up and smiled, "There is my favourite nephew. How are you?"

Jungkook laughed, "You only have one nephew and I am fine. I heard you left the job."

Namjoon rolled his eyes, "Did you go to meet your granny?"

Jungkook chuckled, "Mom took me. She said I never visit her. But I don't have time when the university burdens me with assignments."

Namjoon scoffed, "But you have time to come here. Koya, open the ceiling."

Sure.

There was a sound and the ceiling shifted from being opaque to transparent and then the slider opened, welcoming the fresh air in the room.

"Because Koya helps me with them." Jungkook winked and sat on the floor.

Namjoon brought him a soda can and soju can for himself and sat beside him. Jungkook looked around curiously, "What are you making?"

Namjoon took a sip, "An interdimensional travel machine."

Jungkook's eyes went wide, "Whoa, that's so cool. Did you find an alternate dimension?"

Namjoon shook his head, "I am working on it. I want to make appa proud. I am sure he will love this."

Jungkook hummed, "Halabeoji was always proud of you."

Namjoon looked at Jungkook and smiled, "You are the only person who really believes in me. Thank you!"

Jungkook laughed, "Of course. You are my living Iron man."

Namjoon rolled his eyes but laughed with him. He sipped his soju sitting silently by Jungkook and looking out of the ceiling.