Ch. 3 - The Plan

Seokjin

It's just another day in the middle of the sea. My skin already burnt from frequent sun exposure. For the past 8 years, I've been exposed to this kind of job. I honestly do not mind but I have my dreams too and that's to find a more decent job.

But how can I find a job when I'm only an Elementary graduate? Namjoon told me that I need to finish at least high school to get a job in the city. But if I want to be in an office, that's my dream, I need to finish a degree in college.

"What's your plan?" Hoseok asked as he sits down beside me at the boat on our way back to the shore.

I shook my head. I don't have any concrete plan or shall I say, I don't know how to plan. "I don't know. All I want is to cross the sea and go to Busan. Namjoonie told me that there's a bus there going to Seoul."

Hoseok stared at me while narrowing his eyes. He then leaned in and whispered. "I have an idea. You and I can escape this bullshit..."

"Don't say bad words."

Hoseok gently taps his mouth. "Sorry, a baby doesn't have to hear that. Anyway, you and I can escape the island but you need to cooperate with me."

Escape? That's the best word I've heard so far. "I will cooperate."

Hoseok winked at me before looking around us. Making sure that no one is listening and no one is nearby. Boss is at the end of the boat talking to one of the divers so I guess it's the perfect time to discuss an escape plan.

"Tomorrow morning, we will ride the boat to Busan. The boat usually leaves 10 minutes before the diver's boat. I noticed that the boat isn't there anymore when Boss checks the divers. So it means before he finds out that we are missing, we're already on our way to Busan."

Hoseok smiled widely at me. I imagine the details that he just said and it sounds so exciting.

"Do you think it will work?" I whispered. As much as I want to get out of the island, I am also scared that we might get caught. I can't imagine what Boss will do to us.

"It will work as long as you will not speak our plan to anyone. So, are you with me?" Hoseok gave me a thin smile while waiting for my response.

I smile and nod. "I'm with you Hobinim."

The day went by like forever. I am so excited about tomorrow. If we will succeed with our plan, tomorrow, as soon as the sun rises, we will be in the shores of Busan. I cannot wait!

I saw Namjoon in one of the small eateries near our staff house. He's drinking coffee with a book in his hand. He's always serious about learning, something that I am lacking. I want to learn too but there's no means to do that. If I can find a job in the city, I will save money so I can continue studying. I want to be like Namjoon. I want to be as smart as him.

"Hello!" I greeted Namjoon as I sit across him. Placing my chin on my hands as I stare at the book he's reading.

Namjoon closed the book so he can focus on me. "Hello! How's your day? Have you eaten your dinner yet?"

I nodded. The same old seaweed soup and rice because like yesterday, I have a lesser catch. "If I will go missing, are you going to look for me?"

Namjoon furrowed his eyebrows while he stares at me. I know he's curious about what I mean. "I'm always looking for you every day, Jinnie. Why did you ask?"

I shake my head, smiling. "Will you miss me?"

Namjoon sighs and leans his back on the chair he's sitting on. "What's with your questions? I've known you for so long but this is the first time you asked me about those weird things."

I chuckled. I forgot, Namjoon is a very serious person. "Am I weird? I thought I am only a baby?"

Namjoon scratches his head. "You're an innocent guy. So naive. So vulnerable. You asking me those things is not you. Don't tell me you have plans of escaping?"

My eyes widened. I immediately gesture for him to keep quiet. "Sshhhh! Don't say it out loud!"

Namjoon leaned to the table and stared at me. Based on my understanding or maybe because I've known him since I was a kid, he's a bit worried. "Hoseok lured you in that, right?"

I pouted. Namjoon really is a smart guy.

"Aren't you afraid that boss might catch the two of you? Have you thought about the consequences of that plan?" Namjoon asked in a whisper.

I looked at the ceiling, thinking of the answers to his questions. "I am scared but I really want to go to Seoul. I want to go to malls and drink Starbucks."

Namjoon laughed.

"W-why? Is that wrong?"

Namjoon shook his head but he's still laughing as if I said something funny. "Jinnie, listen. Seoul is a huge city. Once you get there, where will you live? Do you have enough money to survive? I am pretty sure you don't know anyone there. It's dangerous to go there alone. Especially when you don't know anything about the place."

What Namjoon said made me nervous. It's pretty scary, he's right. And I don't have money but I'm not alone. "I will not go there alone." I look at my back then on the sides making sure no one is around. "I will go there with Hobi."

Namjoon slapped his hand on the table, startling me. "I'm right. It's Hoseok. Jin, listen to me again. Don't come with him. It's dangerous. I'm telling you, life in Seoul is not easy."

I stared at Namjoon. Namjoon, the one who took care of me after my grandma died. I know he only cares about me. But my desire to go to the city is so strong that I'm willing to leave everything here. Besides, I don't have anything here. Just a few friends.

"Jin?"

I looked at Namjoon. I am getting sad by now. Tomorrow, there is a big chance that we will not see each other again, or maybe, it will take time.

"Can you promise me that you will not ride the boat tomorrow?"

I stared at him then shake my head. I cannot lie to him. Ge will get mad if I will lie. "I want to escape Joonie. I'm sorry but I will ride the boat tomorrow."

Namjoon's eyes look sad and worried. He knows that he cannot stop me. And I hope he will not stop me.