Chapter 37

I felt the silence in the room getting awkward for them as the three of them, Love, Kevin...and the woman stared at me in confusion.

I shrug my shoulders, "S-sorry" I chuckled. "You look like my late mom." I continue to laugh it off and they did too.

The look in her eyes when she look at me, it made me feel like I am a stranger to her. Am I? The woman who gave birth to me does not want to acknowledge me.

"Xyden, I want you to meet my lovely wife, Katelyn Stevens. Darling, this is Xyden, the owner of Summit Group of Companies." Katelyn gave me a wide smile before passing the dish to his husband and shaking my hands after.

I held my hands to stop it from shaking and accepted her hand.

"You're lovely."

"Well..." I smiled.

"Shall we?" Kevin stretched his hand pointing at the dining table.

I already felt my knees gone weak as I am already dragging myself to the chair. My head is in a turmoil.
The kids didn't join us, they have already eaten so it was just me, Love, and the couple.

I left as if the meat couldn't be pushed down my throat, my mouth was too dry to chew the food.

"It's amazing that in such a young age, you are already the owner of multiple companies Xyden. Aren't you having a hard time looking after all your assets?" Kevin finally started with business talk.

Earlier, he was talking about his kids and how he started making his millions.

"Let's just say I am an heir. My grandparents left it for me and my mom but since my mom has gone MIA on me, it was all named to me. It was in their will." I said with blank expression.

Kevin cleared his throat. "I'm sorry for your loss." I smiled fakely.

I glance at Katelyn but she looks as if she knows nothing. Or is she too professional when it comes to acting?

I smiled bitterly.

"It's fine, it was 3 years ago. My grandparents were the greatest."

"Your mom?" Kevin asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows and took another glance at his wife who's also looking at me waiting for my answer as if she's also interested to know...how could you?

"Oh... she left me." I shrug as if it was nothing.

But it's damn breaking me right now.

Sitting in front of the person that caused all the sleepless nights I had is such a torture. Maybe my father was right, I was trying to see her as an angel, but she wasn't.

"Oh I'm sorry for that honey." I almost slammed my hand on the table when she said that.

But no, I had to hold back.

"Are you?" I questioned her.

"H-huh?" She looked at her husband and back to me. "I mean, no one deserves to be left by ahm...by their mother? I'm sorry, I have no idea what exactly happened but look at you now, you're a successful business woman. Your mom, if she see you right now, she must be proud." She smiled again. That smile has been irritating me since it has resurfaced from my memories.

Nonsense!

"Are you proud of me?"

"Even if I'm not your mother, I am proud that I am sitting in front of a great business woman right now." That warm smile again, it burns my heart.