8 | Break The Barrier

You sip into the empty plastic cup in your hands, creating a hollow sound that kept you from spacing out as you thought of the right answer for your goddamned Science assignment.

"Ughh, Solar help me!" you whined dropping your head onto the book with a defeated sigh.

Solar chuckles, his pen still dragging across the paper as he peeked at yours to see which question you needed help with.

"Lemme see that."

You pass it to him without a word and tapped on Thunderstorm's shoulder next to see what was left of the Math assignment.

"Any luck?" you asked him, your chin propped on your palm as you laid on your stomach on their bed.

Thunder shook his head, his pen stuck between his teeth while he was busy rereading the problem.

You peek at his book, looking at the diagram and pointed out a few things you thought could help solve it. He just takes note of them silently, encircling them or jotting it down on a separate paper.

"Let's try multiplying it before subtracting the total..." he mumbled.

You nod with a hum and gestured to your bag. "Hali, can you grab my bag? I have my calculator in there for you to borrow." he complies, reaching for the strap and handing it to you, waiting as you retrieved the rectangular object within the depths of your backpack.

Solar almost glanced back at the both of you, barely stopping himself from surprise as he heard you utter that four lettered name.

He was even waiting for his brother to retort but it never came. Wait.. I heard that right... Right? But why isn't he reacting?

He pretends to crack his neck to relieve the strain in them and took a glance at you on the bed, which was just barely a meter or two from the desk he worked at.

His brows met and he almost frowns. Thunder's expression wasn't even close to pissed. In fact, he looked as calm and collected like he always does.

Where the hell did the storm go? Solar wondered. He'd be yelling by now if someone else had called him that. Or was it because he was there with them? That's why he couldn't get mad at you?

No that can't be it... (Y/n) knows better than to use his nickname without permission....

"Here, I got it." Thunder tilts his paper, showing you the solution he came up with. To your surprise, he solved the problem with just a few adjustments in the formula, as expected.

"That's great! God, finally!... How many more left??" you peeked, counting the numbers in your head. "Two." says Thunder.

Solar blinks, the scene unfolding right there and making him doubt his eyes. He doubts them so much that he took off his sunglasses, folding them and abandoning it on the desk before him.

Your eyes landed on your best friend, the way he was massaging his temples was a bad sign and you immediately stand up from the bed to approach him.

"Hey, you okay?" you asked, leaning low to see his face. "Do you wanna stop for a while? I mean we've been at it for an hour now." you suggested.

Solar smiles at your comfort but shook his head. "I'm alright, (n/n). The temperature needed to burn off the particles was just getting to my head."

Obviously he partially lied, so as not to get caught for trying to eavesdrop on you and his brother.

You buy it though, partially, and took his glasses from the desk.

"Can I brrow these? The tint's probably bothering your eyes." He smiled, nodding and Thunder's eyes sparked with curiosity.