Chapter 29

Alex's P.O.V

The recently-recovered Elijah and I were in the courtyard with Klaus and Hayley. We were discussing what we had learned earlier. Klaus and I were seated on the couch, while Elijah and Hayley pace anxiously around the room. John came back in and handed me a glass of bourbon.

"The things people remember," I said to him. He laughed and then looked at Klaus who was glaring at him. He looked back at me awkwardly.

"I'll see you around, my darling Alexandria," John said and he sped away. I rolled my eyes then drank my whole glass in one go.

"The attack was about breaking the sire link. Marcel told me that Aya's witches already have a spell to do it." I said. Klaus, who was snapped out of his thoughts once I spoke, looked at me.

"And how does your heart play into all of this?" Klaus asked me.

"I'm the only unsired vampire in history. Apparently, that's the key to making it work." I explained to him.

"And yet, Marcel neglected to mention it this morning," Klaus said. I shot him an irritated look.

"Hey! Ease up. He saved me."

"Yes, then do tell me why John was there?" Klaus asked and I rolled my eyes.

"No one likes a jealous husband, darling." I snapped at him. Elijah looked at me with worry.

"But the Strix might yet come for you," Elijah said to me.

"Let them. I'm not an easy target. They'd be better off trying to find some witchy workaround." I said. Elijah looked over at Klaus, who looked concerned.

"Unless they already have." My husband said.

"They need her heart. Or one that's identical to it." Hayley said to us. I then realize what was going on at the same time as Hayley and Elijah did.

"Jackson," Elijah said and Hayley closed her eyes, then sighed deeply.

"The Unification Ceremony didn't just marry Klaus and I - it also made his heart, Jackson and Hayley's, a mirror image of mine," I explained to them. "And they won't come after Hayley cause they know it would be a suicide mission." Elijah and Klaus share a significant look, and pause for a moment, as it's clear that Klaus is about to make a tactless suggestion.

"We need to dig it up," Klaus said and stood to his feet, then Hayley and I gave him an exasperated look.

"Klaus." We said at the same time.

"Aurora's bullet very nearly killed Elijah. When she returns - and she will - I would prefer the vampires of New Orleans to be obligated to protect us. They'll be more likely to do so if our lives remain linked to theirs." Klaus explained. He rushed away, and Elijah gave Hayley and me a look that communicated he was not fond of the idea but knows it needed to be done.

"Niklaus is right. The sire-link has to remain unbroken. We have to go." Elijah said to us and I looked at Hayley. She looked unhappy, but sighed in defeat and nodded before we left.

~

Hayley and I looked devastated as kneeled in front of the sapling where we buried Jackson's heart, which had already been stolen by someone else. "Who would steal his heart?" I asked.

We stood to our feet, and Hayley's voice was thick with grief as she talked to Klaus, Elijah, and I, who stood behind her. Well, I stood next to her actually. "It was the only piece of Jackson that I had left," Hayley said sadly. I comforted her by rubbing her back.

"We'll find who did this," I said to her.

"And return the favor tenfold," Klaus said. Hayley sighed as she and I stared down at the dug-up hole where Jackson's heart was once buried.