Chapter 31

Alex's P.O.V

I paced and anxiously rubbed my face with my hand as I waited for Klaus to come back with Stefan. As I paced around the bar I heard a phone ringing behind me. I saw it was Stefan's phone, which he left behind like usual, and lifted it from the table to look at the screen. When I saw "Caroline" on the Caller ID and I decided to answer it because I hadn't talked to her in a while.

"Hey, Care," I said to her.

"Who is this?" She asked and I laughed.

"Damn! I really need to get better at returning phone calls." I said.

"Alex." She said stunned. I heard a baby cry over the phone and smiled.

"There's the sound that wakes me up every morning. Try picking her up, she should calm down once you hold her?" I said to her and she sighed.

"Just hold on." She said. "Why do you have Stefan's phone, Lex?" Caroline asked and quickly answered her question.

"He left it here. By the way, what's your stance on hand-me-downs? Klaus and I have a chest full of my daughter's outgrown onesies. Any interest?" I asked her.

"One - these babies aren't mine, they're Ric's," Caroline said to me.

"Yes, that's been made abundantly clear to me by my little brother," I said to her sarcastically.

"Two - You do need to get better at answering my calls. And three - I didn't call you. I called Stefan - yes, my boyfriend and your brother - who's currently running for his life while I sit here playing the worst-case scenario. Except that these babies - they aren't mine - won't stop crying, and now, this entire diner hates me." Caroline said.

"Yeah, try a whole bar," I mumbled, but she didn't hear me and went one talking.

"So, if you could refrain from gloating in the face of my misery, that would be very much appreciated," Caroline explained and I sighed.

"Care, I never gloat at your misery, hell I don't even gloat at my own." I heard her sigh over the phone. "Plus, your boyfriend will be fine," I said to her.

"How do you know?" Caroline asked me.

"Because I ensured it. Do you really think I would let him die?" I asked her.

"No." She answered.

"Good."

"Alex, I have a question for you." She said and I hummed in response. "Who's John?"

"How did you hear about that?" I asked her.

"Damon and Stefan had an argument about it a few weeks ago. Damon said they should - you should, give him another chance because they were friends with him. Then Stefan got defensive because he wasn't friends with him, only Damon, but soon he said that you should just let Klaus kill him because he deserved it." Caroline explained and I sighed.

"John...John was my first love." I said to her. "I loved him with all my heart and I think a part of me still does. But last time that happened I almost killed Stefan and Damon." Caroline gasped. "He did something to me and it convinced me that they should die. But I'm scared now because I have two kids and I'm married. But what if I let him in and he convinces me to kill Klaus or run away with him and the kids?" I asked.

"Well, you said that this all happens when you were completely in love with him, right?" She asked.

"Yeah."

"So, are you in any way in love with him?" Caroline asked and I stood up, then started to pace again.

"I don't know Care. That's the problem. This whole thing is complicated." I sat down again and thought it over. "I'm in love with Klaus, I love him so much. He makes me smile and laugh in the ways that John never did. And maybe that's because he's a Hybrid like me or that fact that we're soul mates, or maybe even because he's the father of my children...All I know is that I love Klaus with all my heart." I explained.