Chapter 6

Shawn Carter,

We heard the door open a few minutes later. Lori came down the hall, then looked back.

"Come on." She said. "Here's Dad!"

She came around the corner and immediately ran to some man I've never seen a day in my life. She crawled in his lap and buried her face in his shirt.

 She crawled in his lap and buried her face in his shirt

"Okay, then." One of her cousins mumbled with a grinned.

"Baby girl, wassup? Daddy can't get no hug?" I asked standing up, going to approach her. "Huh? Why you acting like that?"

She began to break down crying softly.

"Who you?" I asked the guy.

"I'm Marques. Lori's husband." He said with hand outstretched.

" He said with hand outstretched

——

"Husband?" I grinned. "So y'all married?"

"Nah, but we together. You the kids father?" He asked.

"Yeah." I told him. "How long you been with her and around my daughters?"

"Since you walked out." He chuckled.

Lori's family began turning heads. I stared him down for a good five seconds.

"I ain't walk out." I told him.

"Then what'd you do?"

"I ain't walk out," I repeated.

"Then what did you do, man?" He said, you could hear snickers all over the room. "You wanna tell me you ain't walk out when I been here taking care of your daughters for the past five years."

"I've been taking care of my daughters. I've literally been sending money and seeing them through FaceTime. Don't tell me what I've been doing as a father, especially behind closed doors."