Chapter 39

Shawn,

"I look okay?" I asked Dria.

"Yeah. You look fine." She said fixing my collar.

Today is the day of my trial. Even though I got no sleep last night, I've been awaiting for this since the incident happened. Regardless of what does happen today, it will give all of us peace of mind and allow us to finally adjust to our new lives.

As I said before, I care what happens today, but I don't take back what I did and I never will.

"Did you get the trust funds for the kids settled?" Dria had asked me.

"Yeah. I did. They good." I told her.

"Alright. Let's go." She said. "We're meeting at Ms. Tina's house before heading to the hearing."

I nodded.

Once we got to Mama Tina's house, I walked inside to see Beyoncé breastfeeding a fussy Khyson with the girls and rest of the family watching on around her.

"Hey, Daddy." Suri said coming to hug me.

"Hey." I picked her up and kissed her cheek.

"Son, all you have to do is go sleep." I heard Bey said walking to the back of the house.

"Hop down. Let Daddy go talk to BB."

She slide down and went to join her mother.

"Hey Shawn." Mama Tina said softly. "Please, let me warn you that she's in a funk this morning. I know it's because of the circumstances. So just be aware."

I nodded, heading down the hallway and into the bedroom where I heard small baby cries. Her back was towards me when I opened the door softly. She glanced back, then wiped her face quickly before I could approach her.

"Hey, baby." I wrapped my arms around her, I kissed her neck twice. "Why you crying?"

She sniffed, never replying.

"Huh? Come here." I told her.

"Wait, baby. I need to finishing changing him." She said through tears and a choked voice.

"Can I do it?" I asked, she nodded.

Hey Daddy's man." I said strapping his diaper together. "You getting big."

Beyoncé laughed, smiling through her tears.

"You alright? Can I talk to you?" I asked.

She nodded her head yes.

I sat on the bed beside her cradling at sleepy Khyson. He was knocked out about ten seconds later. I didn't put him down though. I wanted to hold him.

She dabbed her face again.

"Look, I don't know what's going to happen today, but I just want you to know that whatever does happens, I want you to be happy with the life you're living. Given that the possibility could be ten years minimum. I don't want you to wait up for me. I want you to live how you see fit even if that means finding someone else to love you better than I have. I just ask for one thing from you."

She waited.

"Just keep in contact with my kids."

She began to nod, "You know I will."

I hugged her for the longest. I knew this day was going to be hard for her, but we're going to push through it by all means.

——