Chapter 25

Shawn,

I've been letting Lori and the kids stay at my home here in Houston for about two weeks now and it's honestly been great. I see them almost every day and I know they're all safe with my gated security out front.

I rented a Slingshot for the day.

When I pulled up in the yard of my home and drove around back, I saw the girls in the pool swimming with their family surrounded. I didn't mind. Her family hasn't seen her since they got here so I knew she was going to invite them eventually.

"WOAH, UNCLE JAY. I WANNA RIDE!" Aaron, Lori's friend's son, yelled as the rest of them little one came running over.

"Okay, hold on." I said removing the keys and stepping out.

I approached Lori and her family who were playing Spades at the table.

"Hey, how y'all doing?" I spoke.

"Good." They said.

"Who winning?" I asked.

"Me!" One of the other female's husband, Greg, had said.

"We doing best 3 out of 5. We've won two a piece." Lori said jokingly. "Please don't do that!"

We laughed.

"Aye, I'll give it to her. She solid in this game." He admitted.

"I could've told you that. We used to team up and beat her uncles up in it back in the day." I said. "I wouldn't play against her."

"What I tell you?" She asked. "I just sat there and told them to ask you how I am when I play spades."

"Yeah, she raw." I admitted.

"Anyway, I'm done for right now. I need to talk to him." Lori said standing up. "Oh, the girls wanted me to take them down the trail out back, but I told them you can take them cause I don't know what's down there and I wasn't trying to find out."

"Oh. It ain't nothing down there. It's just a little walking trail down to some water. It's security out that way too so y'all good. I'll take them down there if they wanna go though."

"Fine." She said.

"Daddy." Suri said running towards me. "Daddy, where is BB and my brother?"

"They went to the office today. BB had to work." I told her.

"Oh. Is she gonna come home soon?" She asked.

"In a little while. She had a doctors appointment early this morning and then she went straight to work. She'll stay there all day if I let her, so I don't know when she'll be home." I told her.

"Oh. Well, can we go see her?" I asked.

"Yes, I guess. Later though, cause she has a meeting in about twenty minutes. That's why Daddy came here cause it was closer before heading home." I told her.

"Is my brother still in her belly?"

We laughed, "Yeah, he's still in there. You should see him kicking now. It's only been a couple weeks and he's kicking even harder."

"I wanna go see." She said.

"I'mma let you go see. I gotta talk to your Mama first though." I told her.

"Okay." She said walking off.

I laughed.

"Aight, so you wanna talk inside or what?" I asked.

"It doesn't matter. What is this thing you're driving?" She pointed.

"It's a Slingshot. I rented it for the day," I told her, "Come on, we'll ride the trail and go talk." I told her.