Chapter 58: Lucy vs Flare | Day One

a/n: in the tag battle, they DID NOT have to add that flashback of sting promising lector that he'd win against natsu. that part just made me cry and wish sabertooth had won.

First Gray lost because of Raven Tail and now Lucy has to fight a Raven Tail member. "Let's go Lucy!" I yell. She looks so determined to win.

"I hear the masters of these two guilds are father and son, Mr. Yajima!"

"Well, if they bear different guild emblems then their family relationship can't mean much."

"This is so dramatic! I'm getting chills."

"Competitors, step forward!" The pumpkin says and the two step forward. "This entire arena will serve as the battlefield. As such, your teammates have been moved off the field. You have a 30-minute time limit. Incapacitate your opponent before time is up and you'll win. Now let the first match begin!" Gong is hit.

"Open, Gate of the Golden Bull! Taurus!" Taurus comes out and takes a swing at Flare, who dodges the attack.

"Ohhh! Celestial Magic! And with a Zodiac spirit, at that!"

"Open, Gate of the Scorpion! Scorpio!" Scorpio releases a powerful sand attack. Flare laughs before her comes out from her braids and it clashes with the sand attack. Her hair was on fire.

"I've never seen hair magic." I say as I watch. Taurus and Scorpio combine their attack and hit Flare on, causing a powerful sand storm.

"The sand is in my eyes!"

"Incredible! Summoning two spirits at once is impressive enough, but now they've unleashed a team attack!"

"Hmm. That gal has certainly improved; she's nothing like she was seven years ago."

"That's so cool!" I say as the spirits disappear and the sand storm goes away.

"Hair shower: Wolf Fang!" Flare's hair turns into a wolf. As the wolf comes at her, Lucy opens another gate, "Open, Gate of the Giant Crab! Cancer!" Cancer comes out and snips the wolf.

"Nice, Cancer!" Lucy yells.

"I think we know who's gonna win." I smile as I finish the last of my popcorn. Flare then lets out a scream before her hair digs into the grown and wraps around Lucy's leg and she starts to swing her around. She smashes Lucy into the ground. Lucy grabs her whip and wraps it around Flare's wrist. The two then pull each other and send each other spinning in the air. Flare sets her hair on fire as they keep spinning. The two eventually fall and Lucy's boots are all ruined.

"The very first match begins with an adrenaline-charged battle! The two girls square off in this father-son guild showdown! Both sides stand their ground!"

"It looks like Fairy Tail might have an ever-so-slight advantage."

a/n: watching this battle i'm starting to think why lucy didn't call loke out at all. i feel like he would've done more than taurus and scorpio.

Lucy stands up and removes the boots. Flare screams and releases more magic into the ground. "Be careful, Lucy!" I yell. Lucy looks around and waits. The two just stand there. Lucy looks over at the Fairy Tail booth. Lucy yells something before Flare grabs Lucy's mouth and throws her onto the floor.

"I wonder why she stopped attacking..." I wonder to myself.

"I think Flare really damaged her feet." Mira answers.

"Say Mr. Yajima, Fairy Tail had quite a different reputation than it does now, correct?"

"Indeed, it was a well-liked, supremely skilled, and much to our dismay, caused nothing but trouble."

"Yes, that likely comes as a surprise to many people out there!"

"Has she run out already?" I wonder as Flare starts whipping Lucy with her hair. Flare wraps her hair around her and starts throwing her around.

"The battle is one sided now?" Laxus asks.

"I guess so." I say. It was torture watching Lucy get all beat up. Flare grabs her. She wraps her around her mouth, wrist, and ankles. It's like Lucy gathers finally gathers some courage and grabs a key. "Gemini!" She summons. The two little twins come out and free Lucy. They transform into her. But she has a towel instead of clothes.

"Oh I wonder what she'll do." I say. The two get side to side and touch hands. "Star far and wide that measure and open the heavens.... With thy radiance, reveal thy form to me," The two start glowing and I can feel a ton of magic power.

"Isn't that your spell?" Gajeel asks me. I nod, "I remember she told me about it during the Oracion Seis situation. Looks like she mastered it."

"Open the raging, tumultuous gate! With all 88 heavenly bodies... shining!" The 88 constellations of the sky come down as spheres and bestow their power upon Lucy. "Uranometria!" She attacks and the scenery is just breathtaking.

An explosion occurs and we're all blinded. When the light comes down, we see Lucy just standing there and Gemini was gone. Flare was fine. Lucy wobbled around and then she collapsed.

"It failed?!" I exclaimed with a mouth full of popcorn. It shouldn't have failed.

"Uhh, that appeared to be a major technique, but... Was Lucy's spell a dud? Mr. Yajima! What's your take on- M-Mr. Yajima? Oh my! Lucy is down! The match is over! The winner is Raven Tail's Flare Corona!"

The crowd starts to cheer. As Lucy lays there on the floor crying, I start walking down there. "Should you be-?" I pull my arm away from Laxus and continue walking down there. I know that spell. There's no way it could've failed. Flare walks off as I make it to the field. I continued to walk towards Lucy. When I reach her, I squat down and extend my hand out.

"I think that was an amazing battle, Lu." I smile. She continues crying. "Don't cry, Lucy."

"I can't help it... It's just not fair."

"Save those tears for when we win." I tell her and she sits up, continuing to cry. "I think you were amazing. I think you gave it your all and well... someone had outside assistance. Trust me, I know that spell, I know you, I know that the spell shouldn't have failed." I say. I stand up straight.

"0 points is great if you ask me. Cause when we make a comeback, it'll be even more impressive." I extend my hand out again and she takes it. "This is just day 1 Lucy. We failed today and who knows, we'll probably fail tomorrow too. But we'll keep trying and we'll make progress. That's what progress looks like, a bunch of failures. And we're going to have feelings about that because it's sad, but you cannot fall apart. And in the end, we will succeed and become number one again."