sɪxᴛᴇᴇɴ

Not shy of a spark
The knife twists at the thought that I should fall short of the mark

―⋆ ⭒⭒⭒ ⋆―

A few days pass and I start to feel better, headache pain slowly ceasing to a minimum. Zoelle greets me every time we see each other in the hallway or in the dining room, which makes me think that she's really feeling bad about it.

I'm met with a box thrown on the desk in front of me, and I avert my eyes up to Jungkook who watches me with a nonchalant expression on his face. He doesn't give me an explanation, only walks over to his closet to get rid of his shirt. I avert my eyes down to the desk and examine the box.

"A phone? For what?" I ask, picking it up.

Jungkook doesn't say anything, and a side of me is disappointed that he didn't return my old phone, but got me a new one instead.

"Does that mean you finally trust me?" I joke, knowing that's not the case.

"You can go out." He speaks lowly. "Do what you want. You'll have people drive you if you want to go somewhere."

My eyebrows raise. "I can't tell if you're being serious or not." All of this just happened out of nowhere.

"Don't try anything stupid. There's a tracking device in it." He motions to the phone and I nearly let a scoff fall from my mouth. Of course there's a catch to it.

"Can I call Evelyn?" I don't even know why I asked. I'll do it either way, but I don't want him causing scenes.

"Watch what you say," he says, then walks out.

|||

I hang up the phone with Evelyn, having told her that I'm okay and that I'm looking for a new job while I'm also looking for a new apartment. We talked for a long time, and as much as I'm sure she didn't suspect anything, a side of me is still uneasy.

I hate that I lie so much ever since Jungkook brought me here.

The phone screen lights up, making me stare at the unknown number. My heart races. Is it Jungkook? Is he testing me?

"Yes?"

"Raina? It's John." I hear him say. A breath leaves me. "I hope you don't mind. Evelyn passed me your number."

"That's okay. What is going on?"

"I want you to get back to work. I decided to consider that additional week you were absent as vacation. Are you able to come to work tomorrow?"

I'm surprised.

"Why the sudden change of mind?"

"You are one of my best doctors. I made a mistake letting you go like that." He explains. "What do you say?"

"I'll be there. Thank you."

I hang up the phone, but I don't feel as much joy as I want to. A gut feeling is screaming at me that Jungkook had something to do with it.

|||

"You never told him, right?" Zoelle asks me as she comes around to check on me again. These frequent visits were starting to annoy me a bit, especially because I figured that she never actually comes for me, but to snoop if I mentioned anything to Jungkook yet.

"I didn't."

Zoelle breathes out, relieved as she places her head into her hands, brushing her hair back. I know she's scared. I would be too.

For a short while, there's just silence and I use it to observe her face. Her cheeks, usually pale, are now reddened, while her lips are chapped from being chewed on for too long. 

"Thank you." She whispers. "Really—"

"No, don't thank me." I scoff lightly. "I didn't do it for you." Her eyes look puzzled. "I did it because I have enough of this constant violence ever since I got here. And I'm not going to say anything either. You can stop pretending like you care and go on as if nothing happened."

She watches me, lips parting. "I'm not pretending."

"I think you are. You're just scared, and I get it," I say. "And because you're here constantly, he's going to figure it out. So stop doing it."

"You think he knows?" Her eyes widen, paranoia kicking in again.

"No," I say, even though I'm not sure. "Be quiet and don't deceive yourself. Get out of here."

"I swear I didn't mean to push you." She rushes out and I try to silence her, being a tad too late as I avert my eyes past her head. For a moment it looks like Zoelle's frozen on her spot, knowing exactly who's standing behind her, and  I let out a sigh, shifting my gaze back at her.

"No." Zoelle shakes her head, eyes dropping close.