[2]- Uncertain Trust, Day One

"Xisuma, I'll ask this one more time sweetheart, what scared you?"

He shook his head. "I dunno.."

"Xisuma.." His mom gave him a look.

"I dunno...! I didn't see it! It just scared me!" She sat down. "It..?" He froze. "Uhh.."

His mom looked at him, and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Xis-"

"Mama!" He cut her off, "It was nothing I pinky swear!!" She sighed. "Alright.."

And with that, she tucked him in and left the room, leaving him to think over what the voice said to do.

[Flashback time]

His mom perked up and looked completely shocked as he jumped to her, and latched on, crying. "What happened?!" He sniffed and hugged her tighter. "I... it.. it knows...!" She looked at him. "What do you mean, 'it?'"

"I-" He started, but never finished.

The voice sent shivers down his spine, as it felt like fear itself was breathing on his neck. It spoke, taunting and lowly, the uncanny tone almost a whisper. "Ah ah ah, don't tell her X, don't tell her... Trust me on this.."

The voice went away and he looked at his mom. She didn't seem to hear any of it. Something inside him, telling him, compelling him almost, to trust this.... this 'thing'. He looked at his mom who was holding him close, worried. He knew he was safe with her. He sniffled.

"I wanna go home..."

[Back to the present]

He his his face under the covers, quickly drifting to sleep, but he woke up soon after to his head hurting.

It hurt.

Like, really hurt.

Like when you go to eat some peanut butter but realize you already ate it all and you can't figure out how to open the other ones hurt.

He grabbed his blanket and held it close, as he slowly trembled down the hallway, his blue train onesie feeling like the only shield to the cool draft. He looked around before freezing, seeing something in the kitchen.

Two faint red circular glows.

A thinned out, crescent-moon shaped, dim white light emitted a little underneath the red glows. It revealed teeth, razor sharp teeth. The red glows- The eyes. The eyes blinked as black came over the mouth, taunting words spilling out.

He never heard them, already running and halfway into his parents bed.

His footsteps echoed down the hall, as he dove into his parents bed and cuddled against them for safety.

This had to be a dream-

But it wasn't.

Those red eyes took up his thoughts while the teeth claimed the corners of the rooms. This wasn't, this couldn't, be a dream.

That is, unless in dreams you could hear the footsteps of your monsters right behind yours, and you felt the icy breath of your biggest fears on the back of your neck, and the echoing of your breath filling your ears, turning the room black, the light at the end seeming to get farther. Unless you could feel something taking over your soul, and sending you into a state of panic like no other. But that wasn't what a dream was.

It's what a nightmare is.

-------

"X, sweetie, what're you doing in mommy and daddys' bed?" He looked up, something inside him telling him not to say about the teeth and eyes. So he didn't.

"I.. my head hurt..." She sat up and felt his head. "Oh my.. your burning like the sun.." He tilted his head. "It still hurts..." She nodded, picked him up, and sat him on the bathroom counter, handing him something liquid.

"Take this, ok?" He looked at it a moment and smelt it. He looked at his mom.

"It smells like purple."

She laughed lightly, leant over, and smelt it. "It kinda does doesn't it..?"

He smiled and nodded, quickly downing the drink. He wrapped his arms around his mum as she hugged him. "My poor baby..."

He followed her back to his room, and curled under the covers. "Let's stay in bed ok?" He nodded and smiled as she set a cool rag on his head.

He slowly faded into a sleeping slumber.

This was the end of day one.

—————————

[Word: About 770]

So somehow we almost  got even shorter, but halfway through I came up with a plan for the set up. So the shorter the chapter, the sooner another update will follow. I'm going to have four really short chapters, and then we'll get into normal sized ones. Also thank you all for the feedback, despite this just beginning! It makes me feel so much better about writing this! Love you all!

—————————