CHAPTER 44

We sat there for a while watching the sun set but I knew I still wanted to apologize to Toph for what I told her.

"Hey, Toph.." I said rubbing the back of my neck. "Look I didn't mean what I said..It's just I was jealous... You really grew up having everything materialistic in the world and I grew up losing so many things as if everything I had was slipping.
My mother, my father's sanity, the things I loved. I had to run away and that resulted to me stealing the nice things I wish I was given. I blew up at Katara because she was right, I do steal things because I never really had anything.
I defend you because we don't have parents and seeing your emotions be completely neglected made me feel sorry.. I felt that way before I ran away.. Not having parents makes me feel like we're more connected but sometimes Katara's right."

"Yeah." Toph said.

"So again. I'm sorry." I apologize then Sokka kissed my cheek.

⇨ ⇨ ⇨

The sun was almost completely gone by the time we headed back to the camp. Katara sat there petting Momo.

"Hi Toph, Hi Mirai.." Katara walked over. "Umm...I wanna-"

"Katara stop, You don't need to apologize." Toph said. "I was the one being stupid. These scams are out of control and I'm done with them."

"Actually I wasn't going to apologize." Katara said. Of course she wasn't. "I was gonna say I wanna pull a scam, with the both of you."

"You want to pull a scam?" I asked.

"Not just any scam, the ultimate scam!" She said. "What do you two say just the girls." She walked between us. "One last go. You in?"

"You know I'm in!" Toph smirked and Katara looked at me.

"Well it's two against one." I smiled as we walked.

"So what's this idea of yours?" Toph asked. We sat down as Katara told us the plan.

"The plan is simple." Katara said. "This wanted poster says your worth a lot of money, ten times more then you've made in all your scams. So we're gonna turn you in and we'll collect the reward then you metalbend yourself and we're on our way."

"Wait, so why do you need me?" I asked.

"I remember when you told us you stole an ostrich horse before." She said and I smiled. "You're gonna wait at the station so when we run out we can leave together."

"Minimal work." I smirked kicking my feet up. "Music to my ears."

‧͙⁺˚* ☀︎⁺‧͙

The next morning we went our separate ways. I walked to a market and took a bag of corn from the stand and found an ostrich horse alone. I smiled and looked around the owner was inside. I pulled my hood on and untied it from the pole while letting it eat the corn.
I got on it and headed to the police station waiting around the corner. I watched Katara following a man in, she looked at me with a smile and held a thumbs up I did it back as she disappeared. I thought this was too easy for us and I was right just as I was pulled off the animal.

"We got this one!" She called and started dragging me in.

"Let go of me!" I growled and struggled to get away. "I said let go of me!"

She opened the door and threw me in to see Katara about to get the money. I connected the two.

"Katara, we're in trouble." I said and was thrown in. The door opened and we turned around to see Sparky Sparky Boom man.

"These are the girls you were looking for." The other man said and we were taken to a wooden cell with Toph. The three of us sat right next to each other waiting.

"Wait it's a trap!" Toph said.

"Really?!" Katara asked sarcastically surprised. "No kidding! Is that why we're sitting in a wooden cage right now?! Gee how'd you figure out it was a trap."

"Not for us bimbo." I muttered. "We're the bait, he wants, Aang." I knew I wasn't really for bait, I would be too lucky. I knew what was really going to happen to me.

"I can't believe I was so stupid!" Katara said. "See this is exactly why I'm against these scams! I knew this would happen!"

"But this was your idea." Toph said.

"I know." Katara said with regret. "I wanted to show you two that I'm not so motherly. I wanted to show you that I can have fun too." I looked over at her sad face.

"Katara you are fun." I said. "you do have your bad times but you also have those good times.. Like when we stay up talking about girly things I can't talk to Toph about." She smiled at me.

"If nothing else you're at least fun to argue with." Toph added.

Katara looked at her. "I know your relationship with your parents is complicated and I shouldn't have said what I said."

"It's okay." Toph replied. "I was really mad when you said that because...well because maybe it's true. I try not to think about it but when I left..I probably really hurt them."

Toph started crying and Katara and I both hugged her. Then she stopped and a guard came over.

"All right I need Mirai." She said and I glared at her. "Your father is waiting for you."

Panic filled my body. "I have no father." I said through clenched teeth but she walked over. "No! I'm not going!" Toph and Katara got in the way and they were shoved over. I shot fire at the person and they cried out in pain. "I said no!"
   They grabbed my arms while Toph and Katara grabbed my feet. I looked at them, I knew this wasn't a battle I would be able to win, I also knew that if I stayed that it could ruin everything. "TELL SOKKA, I TOLD YOU TO LET ME GO! ALRIGHT! DON'T EVER LET HIM BLAME YOU GUYS!" I started crying and my voice softened. "Tell him to not blame himself please.."

"Mirai, no!" Katara screamed but I kicked them away and was pulled out of the cell.

My hand were placed in handcuffs and I was thrown into a carriage. I kept my eyes down making sure to hold back the tears.

"My, you really have grown up haven't you." His voice made my blood run cold.

"What do you want?" I spat at him.

"I want to have a conversation with my daughter." He said with an evil smirk.

"I wonder where she is." I growled and he slapped me. I was shocked and looked at him, the fear in my eyes satisfied him.

"A disgrace really." He said. "Oh don't worry, Mirai, you're not coming home with me. But I do still see you as my daughter, sadly."

"So?" I asked. "You're gonna finish the job and have a proper burial?"

"I thought about that." He spoke. "But that would be to easy for you. Princess Azula, offered to keep you at the royal prison. She told me that you burned your way through chains. I always knew you were a powerful firebender."

It was a gift and a curse.

—————————
Edited; 8/1/21