Set Date

Kiba's POV

"Aww, c'mon Aka. Gimme some, will ya?" I pushed my bottom lip out to enhance my begging face. Akamaru wasn't budging. He huddled even further in the corner, chewing happily on the juicy steak.

I stared at him, half jealous. "Akaaaaaa ... You're really not going to give me any? After all we've been through? C'mon, that's low."

I inched closer, hoping to swipe a piece. Akamaru snatched the steak further away and growled at me. I drew back immediately.

"Fine then. Have it your way. I'll just go buy my own steak. How do you feel about that?"

Seems like the right thing to say since my oh so fickle dog abandoned his steak and pounced on me in excitement. He began earnestly licking my face. I laughed.

"Okay, okay! Down boy! I'll get one for you too, okay? Although we can't let Choji find us or we won't even get a little piece of meat at all. That guy could eat a whole cow ..."

Akamaru barked his complete agreement. I laughed. "To a great barbecue we go!'

We raced off, only slowing down when we almost neared the restaurant. I looked around suspiciously. "We gotta keep an eye out for Choji, remember Aka?" I tiptoed, my head swiveling around, on the lookout.

Akamaru yapped.

"Where?!" I dove behind the fruit stand of an old man. He gave me a weird look. I ignored him, looking frantically for any sign of the fa - I mean chubby - boy. "Where is he? I don't see him ..."

Akamaru barked at me again then erupted into a fit of dog laughter. I glared at him. What a cruel joke. I had really been scared, you know.

"Haha, you think you're so funny huh?" I stretched my hand out to rub his belly. "That's right. Get comfortable. You won't see the ambush even when it's right in front of you."

Akamaru wasn't even listening to me. He was too busy enjoying my hand on his belly.

"Kids these days, am I right? It's so hard to understand them."

I glance over to my left. It was woman standing in front of the fruit stand. She seemed to be buying something although who would be buying fruit at this time of night is beyond me.

"You know that Lea girl, right?" she asked the fruit vendor.

My ears perked up. So did Akamaru since he flopped back over and his tail started wagging. At the mere mention of Lea's name, this was his reaction.

"She came into the hospital today," she continued saying, not waiting for a reply. "She was with that Uchiha kid and her weird animal. And you know what I said to her? I told her to watch out since she had a lot of rivals. You know, love rivals." The lady grabbed the bag of fruit. "She didn't even thank me. Kids these days."

I sprang from my feet. Lea went to hospital?? Why? Was she sick? Did she faint again?

And why was that bastard with her?

I raced towards the hospital, Akamaru hot on my heels. I couldn't stop the ache in my chest, hoping that she wasn't sick or injured.

I dashed inside the hospital and ran straight past the lady at the front desk on the night shift. It was until I saw the many doors that I realized my mistake.

"Damn it! I should have asked her for the room number!"

I ran to a door and opened it. Nope, wrong. Just a deathly pale old person.

I ran to another room. Nah, just a shinobi reopening his wounds in what looked to be suicide. I closed the door and went to the other.

Nah, just a little girl having a severe asthma attack. I wonder why the nurse didn't come running? I slammed the door shut. Not to worry, I could hear their footsteps on their way anyway.