You What?! Welcome Back to the World of the Conscious

The night was coming down. Kiba and I walked ahead of the others, Tenten, Neji, Lee and Mami behind us. Mami seemed to have forgotten about her hatred and disgust for humans because she and Tenten were giggling and trying on everything they spotted.

"You would look great in this," Tenten gushed, wrapping a purple scarf around Mami's neck. Mami was practically glowing from the compliment. I rolled my eyes as she flaunted the scarf, modeling as she went along.

"I would, wouldn't I?" she said with a large grin. Her tail was sticking straight up in the air from glee.

"Of course it would!" Tenten exclaimed, clapping her hands together. She looked at me, overly excited. "Lea-chan, why don't you get this for Mami?"

My head drew back as if she was crazy. "I wasn't aware it was in my job description to buy something for my spiritual animal," I said dryly, my eyes rolling towards the heavens.

Mami's face fell immediately. Tenten smile fell and when she saw Mami's downcast appearance, she gave me stern look. "Oh come on, Lea-chan! I'm sure you can spare a little money to buy something for your friend. Jeesh, it isn't even that expensive!"

"I'm broke okay?" I pulled out imaginary pockets to emphasize my point. "I am as poor as that hopeless guy coming towards us to ask for money."

All heads swivel around to see who I was talking about. Sure enough, I homeless man was staggering towards us. Immediately, Mami's back hair rose to point and she hissed. I didn't know if it as because it was a homeless guy or because she thought he posed a threat to me. I seriously doubted the last option.

Tenten quickly shuffled us out of the guy's way. He looked at us sadly before moving along.

"Why did you do that?" Neji asked. I glanced over at him. He hadn't spoken a word since we left the training ground.

Mami shuddered. "Obviously because she didn't want that weirdo coming near us." Her tail whipped around to wipe her face. "Phew, that was a close one. Good one, human."

Tenten's sweat dropped awkwardly. "Well no actually, I just didn't ... well ... yeah practically that but you didn't have to make it sound so bad... jeesh."

"Well, now we all know so no need to look so embarrassed." Once again, Mami must have forgotten how she was supposed to talk to me in front of others. Her eyes sparkled with plead as she pushed the scarf in my face. "I neeeeeeed this!" she exclaimed. "Get one of your boyfriends to buy it for you then, then give it to me."

"WHAT?!" shouted Lee, Kiba, and Neji at the same time. Their eyes were wide.

I simply raised my eyebrow. "Boyfriend?" I asked with a cock of my head. Boy ... friend. My friend that is a boy! Wow, I really needed to keep up with the slangs nowadays because I had no idea what she meant just a while ago.

Hmm. I looked at Kiba. Nah, he probably wouldn't have any money. A mutt boy like him probably spent all his money buying beef and dog food. I moved over to Neji. Nah, his hair is too shiny and long. A million dollars of hair products must have been spent to keep it like that.

Lastly, I looked over at Lee. He was staring right back at me, his eyebrows threatening to take over his face. One look at him and you can tell that instead of spending money on himself he trains all day, every day.

I jerked my thumb in Mami's direction. "Buy her that scarf will you?"

A second of silence flew by before Mami and Tenten burst out laughing. Their laughter was deafening. I stared at them, my face impassive then I looked over at the boys with question in my eyes. They were looking at anywhere but me. Except for Kiba. He was staring right at me, a mixture of anger and something else on his face. Was he ... hurt?