Chapter 20

Daryl didn't say anything for a long time. I was getting nervous that I had overstepped. "I don't hate ya," he said.

"Might not hate me but you also don't like me," o said. "And that's okay, I understand. I'm just Ricks's annoying little sister. It's okay Daryl I'm used to being invisible," I added.

"Look, I'm not good at this shit. Talkin to people and shit. But we need ya. You're a good doctor. You're important to the group," he said and then cleared his throat.

"You guys have Hershel he's more experienced," I said lowly.

"Difference is Hershel was a vet you're a real medical doctor," Daryl said.

It sounded like he was starting to get frustrated with me so unjust shut up and shut down. "Sorry," I whispered and got up. I climbed down off the bus and went to find a spot to sway from everyone to lay down and try to get some sleep.

The next day just like Rick wanted the courtyard was cleared and so was a cell block. He, Maggie, Glenn, T-Dog, and Daryl all went in and killed the walkers. We took the walkers out of the cellblock and took them outside and each picked a cell. I walked up the stairs and went to the right and to the very last cell. Daryl decided to stay on the perch said he wasn't sleeping in a cage.

The rest of the time we just relaxed and Rick made plans to find the cafeteria tomorrow. The bunks weren't too bad it was definitely better than sleeping on the ground. The cells would need a good hard scrub with all the blood and brain matter on the walls and floors.

I put all my stuff down on the floor and just laid down on the bottom bunk. I was about to fall asleep until someone cleared their throat. I looked up to see Daryl. "Is something wrong?" I asked.

"Rick just wants to have a meeting," he said.

I sighed and got up and followed Daryl down the metal steps. We all gathered around as Rick spoke about tomorrow's plans.

"All right. Tomorrow we're going to go in further and find the cafeteria. Me, Maggie, T, Daryl, and Glenn will go in. Nik I want you here with Lori just in case and then we will find the infirmary for you and it can be your spot and do what I know you do best. Carol and Beth if you guys could Maybe pick up some Nik can help so can Carl. We'll need somewhere to put the food," Rick said and stopped to take a breath.

"I'm going with," Hershel said.

"Daddy, no," Maggie argued.

"I want to help. I'm going," he said. And Rick agreed.

After the meeting, everyone went to cells except for Daryl of course. Then in the morning we Rick and Daryl had found a bunch of stuff like flash bombs and riot gear. The 6 who were going got ready and left. Carl wanted to go but Rick told him he needed him to be the man while he was gone and that made Carl happy. When they left Carl locked the cell block.

"Nik?" Carol peaked her head into my cell.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Lori needs to see you," she said.

I quickly got up and grabbed my bag. I ran down to their cell and found Lori sitting on the bottom bunk. "What's wrong?" I asked and knelt in front of her. 

"I haven't felt the baby move In a couple of weeks. I thought it was from not eating slot and being stressed but I'm worried," she said.

I took my stethoscope out and listened to her belly. I could hear a heartbeat And I sighed with relief. I looked up at her but before I could say anything she spoke.

"If this baby dies it'll turn and eat me from the inside out. If something happens to me save the baby of you can. Don't let Rick be the one to put me down," she said.

"Lori, the baby is fine. Strong heartbeat," I said and I could see the relief wash over her.

It was about a half-hour when Rick was told to open the door. Carl unlocked it and they pushed Hershel into his cell on a metal table.

I rushed over to the bed and started asking questions and barking orders.

"What happened? Go get the red bag from the ambulance now!"

"He was bitten. I cut his leg off with the ax," Rick said.

"You did the right thing, Rick. You might have just saved his life," I said.

The red med kit bag was sat beside me and I started yelling instructions. "I need it opened, I need sheets lots of them and pillows to elevate! Lori opened the bag and asked what I needed. Carol brought sheets and pillows.

"Press a clean sheet tight against the stump!"

Lori I need gauze, I need wraps and get that morphine out now!" I said.

She got the morphine out and a needle. I pulled the drug into the syringe and then right into Hershel's vein. I told Carol to move the sheet and ripped open a bunch of clotting agent gauze pads and pressed them to the bleeding stump. "I need more pads now," I said.

Lori ripped more open and shoved them over the wound as I moved my hand. The bleeding slowed  and I wrapped the gauze with the wrap bandage tightly.

I heard another bag drip beside me and looked down to see it with medical supplies. "Where'd you get this?" I asked looking at Carl.

"Found the infirmary," he said.

Rick had us handcuff Hershel just in case while he took care of five prisoners that were held up in the cafeteria. T-Dog had been walking in with bags of rice and there was more food to come.

I ran out to the common area "Rick?" I said.

"Nik, stop!" He said and I froze.

"Hey, baby," I heard a voice say. A voice I never wanted to hear again.

I looked up and suddenly stopped breathing for a few seconds. I started shaking my head no.
" No. No. You... you're... " I stuttered.

"Alive? Yeah, and I see you are too," he said.

It was Trevor. My ex the one who almost killed me. "Miss me, baby girl? I've missed you," he said with a creepy smile.

I had seen Daryl looking at me then he looked back at Trevor. Then he surprised me and came over to stand in front of me pushing me more behind him out of Trevor's s view.

"Nik, go back in the cell block and lock the door. Now! Daryl get her in there Now!" Rick yelled.

Daryl turned to make sure to still cover me and pushed me towards the cell block. "Lock the door!" Daryl growled and walked back to Rick and T-dog side.