Chapter 24

Daryl POV

Daryl sat there watching Nikyla sleep. Hershel had come in to check on her and see how Daryl was. Carol brought him something to eat. He was being updated about Rick. They had told him about Nik and all he said was she was in good hands. He had truly lost it. He was on a rampage of killing walkers and staying in the boiler room where Lori died. Hershel had gone to see him. When he came back he said Rick told him he talked to people on the phone. Daryl could feel his eyes getting heavy and soon his head dropped to his chest and his eyes closed.

Nik POV

I had woke up to see Daryl still sitting in the chair near the bunk. His chin to his chest lightly snoring. I smiled at the thought he had stayed the whole night with me. But I also felt bad that he was stuck In a chair in what had to be an uncomfortable position. I tried sitting up but the pain just spread across my stomach. I groaned loudly and ended up waking Daryl. 

He jumped up and pushed me back down. "Damn woman, what I tell ya?" He said.

"You know what they say doctors make the worst patients," I said smiling.

I could see the smallest of a grin start to twitch up at the corner of his mouth. "Ya want something he eat?" He asked.

"Water would be better. If you don't mind," I said.

He nodded "I'll be back," he said and walked out of the cell and down the steps.

I waited for Daryl to come back and while I did my thoughts lingered. It was just all false hope but I was hoping that this was a turn around for us. Maybe we'd become friends and then we could become more.  It then again he was only doing a favor for my brother. Which I needed to ask how he was doing.

"Maggie made some rice so I brought ya bowl and some water," Daryl said knocking me out of my thoughts.

He sat the bowl and cup on the small metal table and came over to help me sit up. "Easy. Just go slow. Hershel will kill me if ya bust open those stitches," he said.

When I was sitting up he handed me the glass of water and I drank half of it then I ate. "How's Rick?" I asked in between bites.

Daryl didn't say anything just sat down and looked at the ground. "Daryl? How Rick?" I asked a little more sternly.

"He's been staying in the boiler room where Lori died. Says he keeps getting phone calls. He's lost it," he said.

"Hey, I haven't seen T-Dog or Carol at all. Everyone else has been through," I said.

"T is dead. We found him pretty much bone his whole gut was gone. He was with Carol when the walkers came. We couldn't find Carol so she's dead too," he said.

I stopped eating and put the bowl on the bed beside me. "Carol could be in the prison somewhere hiding. She's a fighter she's not dead. I won't believe that until I see a body,"  I said.

"Oscar the one prisoner and I are going to go into the tombs. Carl wants to come and help clear walkers. I'm gonna talk to him about his mom. I lost my mom around his age," Daryl said still looking down.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"It was a long time ago. She liked smoking in bed. Fell asleep and her along with the house burnt to ash," he said.

I was about to say something when Rick walked into the cell. "Hey," he said.

  "Hey,"  I said back and patted the space beside me. For him to sit.

Daryl stood up and grabbed his crossbow that I didn't notice was leaned against the wall. "Imma go get Oscar and go into the tombs," he said then left.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered with tears in my eyes.

Rick leaned his head on my shoulder and I could feel the tears soaking my shirt. I wrapped my arms around him and held onto him. "I'm here," I said.

"I don't know what id of done if I'd have lost you too," he said.

I lifted his head to look at me. "Hey, look at me I'm fine. Trevor is dead. Daryl saved me he kept his promise to protect me when you weren't around. You don't need to worry about me in not going anywhere," I said.

"Promise? I made Daryl promise me he'd watch out for you when I couldn't," Rick said.

"Oh. Well Ummm..." I said confused.

"Hey, how about you help me walk downstairs so we can go see that beautiful daughter of yours," I said.

Rick helped me up and we slowly walked out of the cell and down the steps. Beth had the baby in her arms rocking her. I leaned against the wall Rick could hold his daughter for the first time. Everything would be alright. Carl and Oscar came back but Daryl wasn't with them.

"Hey Aunt Nik, you're up," Carl said.

"Of course I am. I'm a doctor I don't know what sitting still means," I said making him giggle.

"Hey, wheres Daryl?" I asked.

"He's still in the tombs. We found Carol's knife in a walker's neck. He seemed to be a little upset said he wanted to be alone for a little" he told me.

After a while, Rick and Carol went outside. Maggie and Glenn had gone on a run for baby stuff. I sat with Beth and feed my niece. We heard the cellblock door open and Daryl came in with Carol in his arms. He went into the first cell and laid her down. I gave Beth the baby and stood up to go check on her. It hurt like hell but she looked pretty bad.

"Wow. Wow. I got this you rest," Hershel said.

I ignored him and walked into the cell holding onto the bars as I did. Daryl turned around and gave a look that said I should be in bed. I was holding my stomach and trying to stay upright. He came over and wrapped his arms around me to keep me up.

"Where was she?" I asked.

"Some closest hiding. She's dehydrated," he said.

I nodded my head over to where she was and she slowly sat up. Daryl walked me over and helped me sit down. "Hey, it's good to see you," I said.

"What happened?" She asked.

"Ex tried to kill me. Daryl saved me through and killed him. He hasn't left my side since either," I said and laughed.

Carol smiled looking up at Daryl and his face turned bright red. "Shut up. Ya both should be laying down and restin," he grumbled and we just chuckled.