Chapter 41

A few days later Deana threw a party to welcome all of us. It was a little strange for these people to act so normally. I was in my room to get ready. I promised Rick that I would try to go to the party. I had just gotten out of the shower when there was a knock on my door.

I opened the door to see Daryl standing there. He had showered and put a new shirt on. His eyes widened and his cheeks turned red. "Hey, Daryl. What's up?" I asked.

"Umm. You going to that party?" He asked looking down.

I was only in a towel and only just realized that. I felt my cheeks heat up. "Oh. Umm. Yeah, I was just getting ready. I promised Rick would try," I told him.

I walked away from the door. "Come in," I said.

He walked in and shut the door. I walked into the closet to get changed. "So, you're going to the party too?" I asked.

"Told Aaron I would try," he said.

I grabbed my satin black dress from the hanger and dropped the towel and slipped it over my head. I walked out of the closet and to the dresser. I pulled black panties put and pulled them on.

I heard Daryl clear his throat so I turned around. His head was down but I could see his face was red. "You act like you've to need saw a girl put panties on before," I said.

I turned and went into the bathroom "Come talk to me!" I yelled as I turned the curling iron on. I brushed my hair and Daryl leaned against to door looking at me.

"What?" I asked looking down at myself.

I picked the curling iron up and started curing my hair. "Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked.

He shook his head " nothing," he said.

I curled my hair and when I was done I turned it off. He was still looking at me. "Daryl, why do you keep looking at me like that? Oh, my god! Do I look stupid?" I said.

He opened his mouth to say something but I cut him off pushing past him. "I do! Oh, my god!" I said.

"Ya don't look stupid! Ya look good," he said the last part quietly. 

I blushed and put a pair of black pumps on. "Okay, ready?" I asked.

"Mmhmm," he hummed. We walked downstairs and out the front door.

We walked down the street towards Deana's house. Daryl stopped by a tree and I turned to look at him. "You good?" I asked him.

"I don't think I can go in there," he said.

I looked back seeing people drinking, talking, and laughing through the window. "Yeah, I know what you mean. These people act like there aren't dead people walking around outside these walls," I said and stood beside him.

"They're all going to die," he said.

"Yeah, I know. But isn't that why we're here to save them?" I said.

"Come on," he said.

"Where ate are we going?" I asked.

"Back to the house," he said as he walked away.

I quickly caught up to him and linked my arm with his. His body stiffened and I laughed. "Relax Dixon," I said.

I looked around and smiled "You know, this is nice. Just walking at night not having to be on high alert. Just be able to enjoy the stars.... being with you," I whispered the last part.

Before Daryl said anything Aaron came out of a house "Daryl, Nik!" He said and we stopped to look at him. I still had my arm linked with Daryls.

"Hey Aaron," I said.

"Thought you were going to the party,"  Daryl said.

"Oh, god no," Aaron said.

"Why'd ya tell me to go?" Daryl asked.

"I said to try and you did," Aaron said. "Look Erin make spaghetti if you two would like to join us," he told us and walked inside.

We just stood there and looked up at Daryl. I stepped away and walked towards the steps. I looked back to see Daryl just standing there. "Come on, Dixon," I said grabbing his hand.

He laced his fingers with mine and I felt a butterfly in my stomach. We walked inside to a living room. We walked further in to see a dining room. Aaron and Eric setting up the table.

"Glad you decided to join us," Aaron said.

We sat down at the table. We ate and drank wine. Eric and Aaron were on one side and Daryl and I was on the other. "So, how long have you two been together?" Eric asked.

I choked on.my wine a little and Daryl blushed looking down. "I'm sorry?" I said.

"You and Daryl, how long have you been together?" He asked.

"Oh, no, no, we're.... we're not... we're not together. We're just friends," I said.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I just thought because you guys came in holding hands and you seem to be close," he apologized.

"Oh, yeah, no. Just friends. We've been together since the start. We we're in a camp outside Atlanta at an old quarry," I said.

"So, you two have been through a lot together," Aaron said.

"Yeah. Daryl has saved my life more times than I can count," I said.

"Well, you two would make a lovely couple," Eric said.

I was taken a drink of wine and nearly choked again. I notice Daryl fidget in his seat as he took a drink of wine. "Thank you, but were just friends. Besides I'm pretty sure I would drive him crazy," I laughed. 

I will admit I have thought about it. But there was no way Daryl felt that way about me. I was pretty sure he only tolerated me. Me, well, I was 80% sure I was I love with him. I hated that I loved him. Love would only get you hurt for one and for two I was in love with someone who had zero feelings for me.

"Did you ask him?" Eric asked Aaron and Aaron gave him a look.

"No, I didn't ask him," Aaron said.

"Ask me what?" Daryl said.

"Well, I was going to see if you wanted to be a recruiter. With Eric getting hurt last time I don't want him out there," Aaron said.

"And I have something for you," he told Daryl and got up motioning him to follow.

I stood up too and followed. Aaron opens the door to the garage. There were a bunch of parts laying around and a motorcycle frame. "I don't know how to put it together but I collected any pieces I came across figured one day someone would know-how. So if you want you can build the bike,"  Aaron told Daryl.

Daryl walked into the garage and looked around.
"All right, I'll do it," he said and started fiddling with pieces.