Chapter Sixty Five

Ethan:
Hey everyone. Dinner is at 6.
No need to bring anything.
Unless you want something
specific to drink.

Me:
Sounds great. I'll be there.

I stare at my phone for a minute waiting on the others in the group text to respond, but as the minutes go by, I give up and continue watching the K-Drama I've been binge watching on Netflix. If Madison was here, she'd give me a lecture about how unhealthy it is that I still submerse myself in the culture, but I really don't give a damn. The story lines on American shows just really don't compare anymore to the K-Dramas I've watched. But I'd be lying if I said it doesn't make me think of him. Everything makes me think of him.

The clinking of my ring on the wine glass makes me remember the day he gave it to me as we sat in the backyard of Uncle Kim's house in the makeshift movie theater Tae put together for us with white lights illuminating the backyard. Since that day, I haven't taken this ring off for more than a few minutes to just shower, wash dishes or apply lotion. Taking another sip of my alcoholic beverage of choice, I let myself get lost in the show and do my best to not let myself slip down the rabbit hole of missing Kim Taehyung.

My phone's alarm begins to ring a few hours later, reminding me that it's time to get dressed for the dinner tonight. I pout as I pause my show at an awkward spot when things were really beginning to heat up in the story line and slide back on my house slippers as I make my way to my bedroom in my downtown loft.

The place I got over a year ago is spacious, especially for one person to live here. The large living room with its white and cream decor and kitchen with its stainless steel appliances contrast against the weathered brick walls. My bedroom, though, has to be one of my most favorite rooms. The warm, low lighting, fluffy king sized bed, and view of the city always looks so inviting, but it does make it hard to actually leave it in the mornings.

Digging through my closet, I opt for a simple satin black and loose flowing halter top with a high neck line and some distressed light wash skinny jeans that I'll pair with some strappy nude heels. Since it's just us friends hanging out, I don't feel the need to be too fancy, but want to put in a little more effort anyway. As usual, I keep my makeup light and natural with a bit of bronzer to compliment my summertime tan I'm rocking. Keeping my collarbone length hair straight and smooth, I tuck it behind one ear and give myself one more glance over in my large floor mirror before nodding at myself in approval.

"Good enough." I say out loud to myself as I grab my purse and bottle of wine for tonight to make my way towards Ethan's home.

My phone dings just as I step outside of the main entrance and walk towards my car parked on the side of the secluded street. Not wanting to be unsafe, I wait to even dig it out of my purse until I get inside my car and lock the doors again. Living in the city sure is different than the small town I grew up in where not worrying about having everything locked or walking alone at night wasn't a big deal.

Kinsley:
Sorry, Ethan! Lucas and I
have to flake on you guys
tonight. I've come down
with a cold.

Ethan:
Oh no! I hope you feel
better soon. We'll miss
you guys.

Me:
Feel better, Kins!
Ethan, I'm headed there now.

Ethan:
Drive safe!

Well, that's two down, but at least Madison and Justin will still be there. Not that I haven't hung out with Ethan alone before. We've done so on many occasions, but with this being like a little dinner party, I think it'd be kind of weird if it was just a me and him thing tonight. Not to mention, he planned this whole little get together tonight. I'd feel bad for him if every one of us flaked.