Chapter Sixty-Nine

The next few days were pretty blissful. After having opened up to Ethan the other night, I didn't feel so apprehensive with him. We would steal kisses and lingering touches whenever we would find ourselves alone at work and we've had dinner together every night this week except for Wednesday when he goes to eat at his parent's house. He extended the invitation for me to join them since it's not like I haven't been to a family dinner before, but I decline stating that it'd be good for us to have some time apart. As much as I enjoy hanging out with him even when we were only friends, a girl needs her alone time occasionally.

Yesterday, Mr. Michaels reminded us about our deal to go on our "first date". At first I figured we'd spend the day lounging around and eventually get out and about, but Ethan insisted on taking me on a real date. Because of this, we didn't spend the night together last night and he plans to pick me up around six o'clock. I'm instructed to wear jeans, a casual shirt and sneakers. I have no clue where he's taking me, but I am excited.

Still wanting to be somewhat cute, I still do my hair and put on a bit more makeup than my everyday look. To keep the outfit simple, I opt for some skinny jeans, converse and a plain fitted tee with a plaid shirt tied at my waist. Looking over at the clock, I see that it's twenty minutes until six so I take the opportunity to straighten up my place a bit just in case we come back here. Otherwise, at least it'll be clean when I get home.

The intercom buzzer goes off in his rhythmic tone five minutes till six just as I'm finishing straightening up the couch cushions and for some reason I have butterflies. I walk over and press the button to allow him to come up and give myself one more glance and brush out my hair. My summer tanned skin is glowing and my brunette hair has lightened a bit from all of those days I've spent at the beach, making my hazel eyes pop a bit more than usual.

Opening my door, I'm pleased to see that he's dressed on a similar casual level as I am and smile when he pulls a bouquet of deep red roses from around his back.

"Thank you so much!" I stand on my tippy toes to kiss him sweetly as his hand wraps around my lower back.

"Mm," he hums appreciatively, "you're welcome."

I take the bouquet from his grasp and set them down temporarily on the slim table next to the door and slip on my shoes. "I hope what I'm wearing is okay."

"It's perfect." He smiles as he steps backwards into the hallway and holds his hand out for mine.

"Where are we going?" I impatiently ask as we walk hand and hand towards his black Range Rover parked right behind my car.

Opening the door for me, he waits for me to slide in and with the tip of his index finger, he turns my face to look at his. "You'll see."

He places a gentle kiss on my lips, pausing for a moment as if he had to pull himself away from me. Doing my best to hold back my cheesy smile and contain the heat flaring up at my cheeks, I watch him walk around the front of the car and wave at one of my neighbor's kids that he's seen many times before.

We drive outside of the city limits to a much more rural area. Lush trees and mountains adorn the scenery along with plush green grass. The farther outwards we go, the less and less homes and small businesses I see. I'm just about to accuse him of kidnapping me when he turns onto a all dirt driveway with the sign Apple Grove Ranch written in the white wire arch that we have to drive under.

"A ranch?" I smile over at him when I realize where he's taking us.

"Horseback riding. You've always said you wanted to try it after we went to the rodeo that one year." He says as he pulls up and parks near a large cabin.