Chapter Sixty-Seven

"So...?" Madison whispers curiously as she stands next to me at the file cabinet.

"So...?" I mock, trying to ignore her for the umpteenth time today.

"How was the date?" She pouts and bounces in place, dying to know if I even gave it a chance. "You never called or texted me that night or Sunday. Are you angry with me for blindly setting you two up?"

Shutting the drawer and sliding open another to get out more files I need for the day, I huff out a sigh and roll my eyes. "No, I'm not mad at you Madison."

"So...?" She echoes herself.

Ethan walks by and smiles at me, making me grin back at him just before he casually walks in to his office and sits down at his computer. Madison watches our interaction, noticing the shift between us and the slight hint of a blush sweeping over both of our faces. She gasps with wide eyes and bumps my hip as I turn back around to continue working. My shoulders sag as I look over at her with exasperation.

"Did you two kiss?" She whispers much more quietly with Ethan now within earshot of our conversation.

"Yes." I hiss through a whisper of my own.

She giggles and stealthily looks back at the handsome man diligently working behind his L-shaped mahogany desk. "Did you two...?"

"That's none of your business." I scold just above a whisper as I shut the black metal cabinet drawer and turn to place everything onto my desk.

Glancing up, I see Ethan looking over at me and watching us two converse not so secretly when we should be working. As much as he's my friend and now, I guess, lover, I still work for him and really don't want this new level of our relationship to make anything awkward.

"Tell me! I'm your best friend." She whines as she pretends to help me organize the blue folders scattered about.

Ethan clears his throat loud enough to catch both of our attentions, making us raise our heads in response. "Madison, shouldn't you get back to your desk? I'm positive that you have your own work to do too and if not, I can get you some."

With a roll of her eyes at her friend and colleague, she walks away. Stopping by the doorway, she turns back to mouth the words text me as one last plea for some kind of information.

"Madison..." He calls out again, knowing she hasn't left yet.

"Going!" She yells back, spinning on her heels and walking away from my line of vision.

Turning back to face forward, I look up at Ethan who gives me a wink. He knew she was making me uncomfortable right now so he used his position to grant me some piece of mind. I quietly laugh and smile bashfully down at my desk before looking back up and whispering thank you back to him. He cutely scrunches his nose at me with an equally bashful smile and continues with his work.

For the rest of the morning, Madison has sent me texts and tried to meet me at the water cooler or file cabinet, but Ethan kept finding ways to get me away as fast as he possibly could. I was honestly thankful for his quick witted ways and clever concepts he came up with. Even going as far as having me take notes in a meeting that she wouldn't be allowed to be in. However, he just sent a text to me before it started to let me know that I could just draw or something to pass the time since no one but him would read the notes anyway. He got a good little chuckle out of the cartoon characters of the staff that I came up with during that hour long meeting.

With almost everyone gone for lunch, including Madison since Justin usually came to eat lunch with her on Mondays, I was able to go to the break room and grab my salad from the refrigerator in peace. Ethan walks in just as I'm sitting down and goes to the refrigerator to pull out his own Tupperware of food he brought from home. It was a normal thing for us to eat lunch together on Mondays, but having just had sex for two days in a row, eating lunch together in the workplace almost felt forbidden. But I like it.