Chapter Six

My cell phone starts ringing as we round the corner of the street Taehyung stays on.

Mom

Crap! What does she want? I glance up at the time and see that it's 9:27. It's not even late.

"Hey, it's my mom." I give him a warning as my thumb hovers over the screen.

I clear my throat and take a deep breath to still my nerves before answering.

"Hey mom. Everything okay?" I ask. She normally doesn't call me unless something's wrong or if she's worried.

"Hey baby. Yes, everything is okay with me but Madison is here and she's crying. Apparently that boy cheated on her again. I told her you were busy but she won't leave and well, I don't know what to do with her." She knows she's asking me to end my date and as much as I want to have her put Madison on the phone and yell at her for continuing to mess with Alex in the first place, I just can't be that kind of person.

"I'll be home soon." I shoot a glance to Taehyung as he's about to turn into the driveway.

His shoulders visibly sag and he lets out a small sigh as he turns the car around and heads back to my house.

I end the phone call and look over to him. "I'm sorry. Madison is crying and my mom doesn't know what to do."

"It's okay. You need to be there for your friend. I'm not going anywhere any time soon."

I grab his hand and squeeze it tightly and he shows a very small smile. I know that he's disappointed. I'm disappointed. But I can't be one of those girls that abandons her friend over a boy. Even if Madison has done that to me in the past.

Knowing my dad is out working, I look through the car window at my house to make sure no one is looking before I lean over to him. I take his face in the palm of my hands and kiss him as deep and passionately as I can.

"I'll make it up to you." I say as I run my hand through his hair.

He nods and leaves one last peck on my lips before I exit the car. He stays to watch me open my front door before driving away.

As soon as I step inside, I hear Madison sniffling and my mom trying to console her. Poor mom, caught in her teenage love life. She shouldn't be in the middle of this. I shouldn't be in the middle of this if we're being honest. I've lost count of how many times I've told Madison he's a scum bag and that she should leave him alone. I don't understand why she feels like he's worth all of this.

"Thanks mom. I got it from here." I say as I enter the kitchen.

She quickly stands up and walks out, glad to finally be off duty.

"Madison, why? Why do you do this to yourself over and over again?" I hand her a tissue so she can blow her nose.

"Because I love him and I've been with him so long and..."

"And he doesn't love you and so what you've been with him a long time? It's time to move on." I cut her off and I may be a little harsher than usual this time but I'm tired of always being there to pick her up. She needs to open her eyes once and for all.

Her eyes widen and then narrow at me, "So what? Now that you've found someone, it's my turn to be lonely?"

Okay. She's upset and lashing out at me. Whatever.