Part 8

Y/Ns POV

This year at Hogwarts The Triwizard Tournament was taking place, Dumbledore had just announced.

"You're JOKING." said Fred Loudly.

Nearly everyone laughed, and Dumbledore chuckled appreciatively.

"I am not joking, Mr Weasley." he said.

The Triwizard Tournament was first established some seven hundred years ago, as a friendly competition between the three largest European schools of wizardry - Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. An impartial judge will decide which students are most worthy to compete for the Triwizard Cup.

"I'm going for it!" Fred hissed down the table, loud enough for everyone to hear.

Other students began discussing how they also want to go for it until Dumbledore started talking again.

"Only students who are of the age seventeen or older are allowed to put their names forward."

"This" - Dumbledore raised his voice slightly, for several people had made noises of outrage at these words - "is a measure we feel is necessary, given that the Tournament tasks will still be difficult and dangerous, whatever precautions we take, and its highly unlikely that students below sixth and seventh year will be able to cope with them."

Dumbledore explained when the other schools would be arriving but many students were still annoyed they couldn't be part of the Triwizard Tournament.

"...And now it is late, and I know how important it is to you all to be alert and rested as you enter your lessons tomorrow morning. Bed time! Chop chop!"

Students were still complaining as we made our way back to our dorm rooms.

"I didn't want to do it anyways." Malfoy said from behind me.

"yeah, because you're too scared Malfoy." I said turning around to face him.

I sat next to Malfoy in Dark Arts class, we had a new teacher again, Professor Moody.

"you're behind, very behind, on dealing with curses." said Moody.

I turned to Malfoy, nudging him in the side thinking about when I first met him, I said I'd practice these curses on him.

"So... do any of you know which curses are most heavily punished by wizarding law?"

Several hands rose tentatively into the air, including mine, which I smirked at Malfoy before. Moody pointed at Ron to give an answer.

"Uh my dad told me about one... its called the Imperius Curse, or something." said Ron tentatively.

Moody took out a jar which contained a large, black spider. He held the spider in the palm of his hand so we could all see it.

"ugh" I said quietly in disgust.

"Scared Riddle?" Malfoy Sniggered.

Moody then pointed his wand at the spider, and muttered, "Imperio"

The spider leapt from Moody's hand on a fine thread of silk, and began to swing backwards and forwards as though on a trapeze. It stretched out its legs rigidly, then did a backflip, breaking the thread and landing on the desk, where it began to cartwheel in circles. Moody jerked his wand, and the spider rose onto two of its hind legs and went into what was unmistakeably a tap dance. Everyone was laughing, except Moody.

"Think it's funny, do you?" he growled. "You'd like it, would you, if I did it to you?"

The laughter died away almost instantly.

"Total control." said Moody quietly, as the spider balled itself up and began to roll over and over. "I could make it jump out the window, drown itself, throw itself down one of your throats..."

As he said that he flung the spider on to Malfoy's face, who instantly started panicking, the rest of the class was laughing at him, where as I was trying to get it off him. After what must have felt like forever for Malfoy, Moody brought the spider back to his desk and I gave him a dirty look.

Moody went through a couple other illegal curses, toying with the same spider still.

"Right... anyone know any others?" Moody asked.

I instantly raised my hands, and caught Moody's attention, I think only now he realised who I was.

"Ah, Miss Riddle?" he said looking at me.

"Avada Kedavra" I said.

Several people looked uneasily around at me, including Malfoy.

"Ah," said Moody, another slight smile twisting his lop-sided mouth "yes, the last and worst, Avada Kedavra the killing curse, of course you would know that one Miss Riddle."

Moody raised his wand, pointing it at the spider.

"Avada Kedavra" Moody roared.

There was a flash of blinding green light and a rushing sound, as though a vast, invisible something was souring through the air. Instantaneously the spider rolled over onto its back, unmarked but unmistakably dead.