(v) mission

y/n left to prepare for her next mission, agreeing to report to the village entrance in half an hour while kakashi was left to speak to sarutobi-sama

"any specific reason why you chose me for this mission?", he asked when he'd been briefed about his task

"y/n uchiha is a cold person, kakashi. she's polite, and will make small talk. but that's about it. she does her missions well, has a success rate of 94% and is a prodigy. but she doesn't necessarily have friends."

"what does this have to do with me?", he asked

"after this mission i want you to train her. you're the only one who possesses the sharingan besides her in this village. sasuke hasn't awakened his yet. and she has the potential to achieve greatness. and since you haven't formed your three man squad yet you might as well help her."

"it doesn't seem like she needs my help", he said apprehensively

"everyone needs someone to look up to. you know that, kakashi."

"i will do my best then" he nodded before leaving the room.

some twenty minutes later, kakashi showed up to the village entrance to find y/n dressed in her signature outfit. (choose your fav, personally i like 4)

 (choose your fav, personally i like 4)

"y/n!", he called out.

at once she turned around, slightly bowing in acknowledgement. they set off, silently moving. no one said a word for a few minutes. kakashi didn't know what to say and y/n wasn't particularly interested in saying something. but just for the sake of conversation, she began.

"it's true then, huh", she said

"what is?"

"that you've failed all the genin that came to you for the last three years?"

"oh that. hmm yeah it's true."

"any particular reason why?"

he shrugged "there was no sense of teamwork between them"

"hmm", she hummed, not knowing what to say

"so who do you think is robbing these graves?", he asked, changing the topic

"i'm more concerned about why they're robbing them.", she thought out loud

"that could potentially be problematic, i agree"

they continued to talk as they ran. it didn't seem... forced. it just sort of flowed. it was actually kind of refreshing for y/n to talk to someone who didn't bring up the massacre of the uchiha clan or sasuke and offer their condolences. she was sick of it.

they finally stopped near the border of the mist village around sundown.

"how are we proceeding?", y/n asked in a low voice