(xl) the wait

"y/n?", a faint voice called out to the girl that slowly opened her eyes. but she sat up with a start when she saw who it was. a man dressed in grey and red with prominent white hair and a pervy grin she remembered all too well.

"jiraiya-sensei???"

"you didn't forget me then huh", the toad sage chuckled. she got up to give him a hug. he returned it, arms wrapped around her.

she didn't realise how much she'd missed him just because his death had been overshadowed by itachi's so much.

"of course i didn't", she smiled sadly, recalling how she got here "so this is what happens when you die"

she looked around the place she was in. something like a kamui time space. it seemed to be endless.

"i didn't expect to see you this soon", jiraiya gave her a small smile, "but i can't say i'm not happy to see you again"

"pain", she sighed, "really lived up to his name"

"tell me about it", he chuckled, "did you ever miss me while you were down there?"

"shut up pervy sage you wish", she giggled, "but yes, i did"

"how was tsuna doing?", he asked

"probably not good now that i'm gone", she sighed, "she was pretty torn up about your death too"

"she was?!", he raised his eyebrows

"don't act as if you didn't know that", she said, narrowing her eyes

"and how's naruto", he enquired

"he'll be fine", she smiled as she recalled his smile, "i just.... didn't get to say bye to him"

~•~•~•~
three days later

"i don't.. i don't understand", kakashi said in a low voice

"try to.. kakashi sensei", sakura said, "y/n bore severe damage during pain's attack. even with rinne-rebirth, it is possible her body is just taking its time to heal"

"everyone except her has woken up", he let out a frustrated sigh, "she will wake up right?"

sakura looked at his sad expression with pity. she knew she couldn't promise for sure that y/n would wake up. "all we can do is wait"

~•~•~•~

"so what else did you do while you were up here?", y/n asked, "isn't it boring"

jiraiya didn't reply so she turned to look at him. his eyes were definitely where she expected them to be. and blood trickled from his nose.

she punched his arm, "STOP CHECKING ME OUT"

"ouch!", he rubbed his arm, "you wouldn't believe the lack of research around here"

"poor you jiraiya sensei", she said sarcastically, "any new ideas for the icha icha series? i'm tired of reading the same three books. i don't know how kakashi isn't"

taking his name hurt her heart much more than she thought it would. her smile faded as she whispered, "kakashi", again for no reason

"you really miss him huh", jiraiya looked at her with pity

"more than i can handle", she stared at the ground

~•~•~•~

one week later

"is he still there?", naruto asked

"he hasn't left her side", sakura replied, "i don't even know when y/n sensei will wake up. to tell you the truth, at this point, i don't even know if she will."

kakashi sat in her hospital room, like he had for a few days now.

he didn't say a word, just sat there and read his book. he didn't want her to wake up and find herself to be alone. another thing he didn't want to do was consider the possibility of her not getting up.

"kakashi!", a new person entered the room, "the raikage has called for an urgent five kage summit"

it was shikaku nara. he glanced y/n's way for a few seconds before turning back to kakashi, who didn't even look up from his book.

"what does the five kage summit have to do with me", he asked

"i know it's not a good time but-"

"just say it"

"with tsunade-sama gone, danzo shimura is gearing up to be the next hokage"

"so?", he asked indifferently

"y/n wouldn't want you to do nothing while that ass becomes the hokage"

"stop talking about her like she's dead", he said flatly

"then imagine her disappointment when she wakes up and finds that danzo shimura of all people is the hokage", shikaku said bluntly

"then what do you suggest i do, shikaku-sama?", he asked, finally looking up from his book

"actually", he paused, "i am recommending to the elders that you be the next hokage"

"hokage? me?"

"you're well suited for the job kakashi", he replied

he stared at y/n.
"okay. okay i'll do it."
___________________________________

thanks for leaving messages on the last chapter ALL OF Y'ALL ARE SO NICE😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

taylor swift randomly released a new album and saved 2020 v nice. (sorry if you don't like her)