25.

With my eyes squeezed together, I pressed myself deeper into the source of the warmth that surrounded me. Never before had it been so warm in my bed. I felt safe and secure. The only disturbing thing was this penetrating ringing in the background.

All of a sudden, my eyes ripped open. My phone.

As fast as lightning I jumped up and grabbed it. My heart was racing up to my neck.

*Incoming call from mom*

My heart was racing so fast that I could feel the pulsation all the way into my mouth. So intense, as if I could chew and swallow it down. I was afraid to take the call.

I took a deep breath in and out before answering the call. "Mom?"

"Arisa sweetie, nice to hear your voice", I heard her from the other side and I just knew that she was smiling.

"Mom", I pushed. I was not in the mood for small talk. The fact that she didn't get to the point made me nervous. Has it happened and she just wants to delay telling me?

"Everything is fine, baby. Your grandpa made it through the night and is now under close observation."

Oh, my God. I exhaled the breath I had unconsciously held. It felt like a ton of weight was leaving my chest.

Relieved, I let myself fall back into the pillows. "Thank God," I murmured. "Can I talk to him?"

"He's asleep right now. The doctors say he needs a lot of rest, only one visitor is allowed at a time, so you don't even have to come here," she replied to my question, which I hadn't even asked yet. Well, to be honest, I didn't want to ask her whether I should come, but when I should come.

Before I could disagree, she kept talking. "I hope you were able to get some kind of sleep despite the message and didn't worry too much. I know how much you can overthink things." Surely, she was worried after she had seen all my calls.

Smiling, I played with the hem of my T-shirt as I thought back on the fact that I didn't have to go through this alone last night. "It was okay. A... friend kept me company."

"A friend? Atsumu?" she checked, confusion swinging in her voice, snice I don't describe Atsumu as 'a friend' when I talk about him but would just mention his name. He had been around a few times when I had video calls with my family, so she already knows him.

"Umm. No, another one." I tried to make it sound casual, because my mother is the best in hearing it out of my voice if I try to keep something from her. It's a mother thing, I guess.

It remained silent for a moment, until she kept asking. "Another one? What kind of friend?" There was clearly something ambiguous in her voice.

Thank God I didn't have to answer, because suddenly there was the voice of a stranger calling my mother by her last name.

"I have to go now; the doctor wants to discuss more details with me. I will keep you informed about your grandpa. And don't worry too much, sweetie."

I sighed. It was a relief that my grandfather was doing well, but I would have liked to convince myself. Besides, I would rather be there now. "Okay. Give him a kiss from me."

"I will. Bye, sweetheart. Take care of yourself. Love you."

"Love you, too."

"We'll talk about this 'friend' of yours some other time," she said quickly, before the beeping assured me that she had hung up. Ugh. Nothing escaping her notice.

Sighing, I closed my eyes and let my heartbeat slowly calm down again. My grandpa was better and that was the most important thing.

"Well?", it suddenly sounded from my right side.