𝐓𝐎𝐌, unexpected

UNEXPECTED
A Tom Riddle x Reader Oneshot

SUMMARY: Tom chooses his partner for dueling club, clearly underestimating the abilities of the unassuming Hufflepuff

WARNING(S): Fem!Reader, Hufflepuff!Reader (955 words)

It seemed as though a new club was formed every few months at Hogwarts

It seemed as though a new club was formed every few months at Hogwarts. Just last month Tom could've sworn he overheard a group of second years discussing a Wizards Card Collector Club as he walked to his Common Room. Now there were posters of a dueling club being formed for students to practice their dueling skills.

Tom never liked the idea of clubs. Even back in the orphanage when Mrs. Cole would try to set up small clubs in hopes of him joining and making friends, he would just excuse himself back to his room. This was what he wished to do until he heard that students would be allowed to duel each-other. While it was intended for academic purposes, Tom saw it as an opportunity for possible new recruits. As of now, there were only six of them, including himself, and if he were to achieve his goals of pure-blood dominance, he would need an army, not a group.

"Welcome students! Today is our first meeting for Hogwarts Dueling Club. To start, let's have a few pairs demonstrate." Professor Merrythought announced before looking around the room.

Her eyes landed on Tom and she smiled, gesturing for the boy to come on up to the platform. A chorus of groans and cheers echoed through the crowd of students as they watched him step up onto the platform. It was no surprise that he was chosen for the demonstration, he was one of her brightest pupils and was taught everything she knew. This earned him very high marks but it now also made it harder for any students who had planned to volunteer.

"Now why don't you pick a partner Tom?" Professor Merrythought told him.

He scanned the faces of those standing below him. Some showed expressions of fear and worry while others looked at him calmly, almost as if they were challenging him. He was going to settle for a Gryffindor in his year who was mocking him until he heard someone laughing. Whipping his head in the direction of the laugh, his eyes landed on a Hufflepuff girl who wasn't even paying attention.

An interesting, maybe even cruel, thought came to his mind as he turned back to Professor Merrythought and pointed at the Hufflepuff. The Professor's eyes looked like they were going to bulge out of their sockets as she asked: "Are you sure?"

Tom nodded and she seemed to hesitate before calling up the student.

"(Y/N) (Y/L/N), would you please come on up and join us here dear?"

The Hufflepuff, who Tom now learned goes by the name of (Y/N), paused her conversation with her friend and smoothed down her robes before making way towards the platform. Professor Merrythought was quick to join her side and whisper something in her ear but the Hufflepuff's response caused her to frown.

"Very well then, wands at the ready and remember, this is just a demonstration." Professor Merrythought seemed to have directed that last bit towards Tom, eyeing him carefully before continuing the rest of the Wizards Duel.

Tom smirked at the girl, expecting her to look scared or even nervous but instead she mirrored his expression before raising her wand. Caught off guard by this, he just barely deflected her stunning spell.

"Not bad." He mumbled under his breath before aiming his wand at her.

The two went back and forth shooting basic defense spells at each-other with neither of them getting hit. Frustrated, Tom shot a stunning spell in the Hufflepuff's direction before quickly casting a fiendfyre.

Just as a small flame had escaped from the tip of his wand, a jet of water had put it out. Before he could even look up to the caster, he was hit by a stunning spell and he flew back into the air.

Students cheered and applauded the Hufflepuff for her victory in the duel while Tom's goons were quick to be at his side. Professor Merrythought smiled at her and gestured for her to go back to where she was previously standing with her friends.

When the group of boys were back on the ground and the Professors were looking for more volunteers, Tom couldn't seem to take his eyes off of the Hufflepuff girl who had beat him in the duel.

"I'll take care of her." Lestrange growled, stepping in the direction of the platform to probably force her to duel again. He had barely made one full step when he felt a firm hand on his shoulder. The boy turned around to see Tom looking at him with a stern look.

"None of you will touch her. Got it?" He asked in a low voice and all five boys nodded. All traces of anger and thirst for revenge now replaced by fear.

Maybe he had underestimated her when he decided to pick her. Admittedly, he thought it would have been an easy feat for him but she quickly proved him wrong. Perhaps his view on those Hufflepuffs have been wrong all along.

For the rest of the club meeting Tom kept a watchful eye on the Hufflepuff girl. He stood from afar, occasionally actually practicing a few spells on one of his goons before returning his gaze onto her. He didn't end up doing anything and though he was ready to shoot a hex at her partner at any given moment, she seemed very capable of taking care of herself.

He didn't even know where this new sense of care over the girl came from. Had it been anyone else than he wouldn't have stopped his goons from going after her but for some reason, she intrigued him. She was different and Tom liked that.

What other secrets are you hiding, little one?