18

that night, lily was told to go home but she refused as she wanted to stay until the last day.

the girls in her dorm fell asleep with broken hearts hearing lily cry herself to sleep.

the following morning, everyone was invited to the hall, where dumbledore wanted to talk to the students.

ron grabbed lily by the hand and made her sit with him. she didn't speak or move, but the hot tears on her face continued to fall.

"today we acknowledge a really terrible loss," lily intertwined her hand with rons, squeezing it tightly. "cedric diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard-working, infinitely fair-minded, and most importantly a fierce, fierce friend. now, i think, therefore, you have the right to know exactly how he died. you see.. cedric diggory was murdered... by lord voldemort," at these words lily lowered her head and closed her eyes.

"the ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this. but not to do so, i think, would be an insult to his memory. now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me and reminds us, that though we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. in light of recent events the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever. remember that, and cedric diggory would not have died in vain. you remember that, and we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end."

after the ceremony, everyone left outside and said goodbye to the visiting schools. lily stayed standing with ron, refusing to let go.

ron felt nervous at first, but he never minded.

after both schools left, ron said they should gather with harry. lily followed as they stood between pillars.

"some year huh?"

"never ordinary."

the boys started to leave but hermione stayed with lily, both looking scared.

"lily, what do you want to say?" hermione asked, knowing something was up.

lily looked up slowly, and met with harry's gaze.

after opening her mouth for a while, she choked up the words, "c-can you please tell m-me, everything that happened?" she pleaded, getting ready to grovel.

"lily, you don't have to."

"please," she cried. "i have to know."

"i promise i'll tell you everything, just please get off the ground."

with ron's and harry's help, she got back on her two feet, but didn't let go of ron's hand and started to follow him again.

this time hermione didn't join, so the three turned back at her.

"everything's going to change, isn't it?"

"yeah," harry said honestly, with a nod.

hermione almost chuckled at his upfront word.

"promise you'll write," hermione said, but no one other than lily nodded.

as hermione and harry were ahead, ron turned to lily.

"this summer, you write for anything and everything okay. i don't care how big or little, i want be there for you. we can hang out weekly if you're up for it."

"you might just be the reason i live for," she whispered so softly, pulling the boy into a tight embrace, one they both needed.