55

"where you off to?"

"gryffindors trials," lily responded, not realizing ernie was the one who asked her.

"why?"

"ron's going for keeper..." she mumbled, putting on her scarf.

"why do you care?"

"he's my friend and i support him," lily furrowed her brows. why was he acting like this?

"you're still hung up on him, aren't you?"

"what are you talking about?"

"you still like him."

"i-i don't," she lied, burning crimson.

"don't play dumb with me, lily. i know you too well. god, how was i so stupid? of course you still fancy weasley."

"ernie-"

"save it, save me the embarrassment," he sighed.

"ernie, it's not like that," she pouted.

"i hate that you're so beautiful, yet so selfish."

"ernie please," she whispered, touching his hand only for him to pull away.

"we'll talk later."

"ernie," she felt a huge painful lump in her throat. she watched as he left her dorm and went to the common room.

she looked down and left the common room, without saying a word. everyone looked at ernie, who for once, sat quietly reading his dark arts textbook.

"what did you do?" kim sighed.

"why don't you ask her," he growled.

lily rushed to the field and sat with hermione and talia.

"hey lils, what's wrong?" talia asked immediately.

"nothing, i just messed up things with ernie," she said sadly. "i keep doing the wrong thing."

hermione looked at her.

"you don't like him, do you?"

"i can't live a lie," she sighed.

lily looked up and saw ron flying to the keeper position.

"come on ron!" she cheered, earning a smile. she smiled back. "i messed up bad didn't i?"

"i knew hearing that you kissed ernie on the train wasn't like you."

"it was just a kiss, he hasn't even taken me out on a date," she chuckled. "it doesn't matter anyways. ron likes you and i'm just an asshole."

"what?"

lily looked at hermione. "ron likes you."

"no he doesn't."

"love, ron was the first person she came out to," talia informed her.

"he supported me a lot," hermione laughed. "but he doesn't like me like that at all. it's brotherly sister love."

"but the way he looks at you-"

"is far more different then the way he looks at you."

"that's not possible. he rejected me."

"what?" they both asked.

"ron rejected me during summer holiday."

"he didn't!"

"but he did? w- we kissed and he told me it was a mistake," she whispered, feeling sick at the thought. "he said to forget about it, so i did. that's why i kissed ernie."

"that- that can't be," hermione said in disbelief.

"but that's what happened, and now i kinda messed things up with ernie because i just can't get over ron, even if i know he doesn't feel the same," she frowned. "this is just a whole mess. i- i'm gonna go."

lily suddenly stood up and left the quidditch pitch. hermione was about to stand and follow her, but talia, who knew lily best, stopped her from going.

the cold wind hit lily's fresh tears and heated face.

she rushed to the basement and crashed into a strong chest.

"i'm so sorry," she sniffed, refusing to look up.

"why are you still crying?" ernie's voice asked, as sincere as he could be, even if he was mad at her.

"huh? ernie? i'm fine," she sniffed, looking up.

"that's pathetic, lily. at least be a better liar," he chuckled.

she started crying more as he wiped her tears and hugged her.

"i'm so sorry, so sorry," she hiccuped through her tears, throat hurting with each sob. "i'm so fucking sorry ernie. i'm so sorry i don't- i don't deserve you at all. i'm so sorry."

"nothing to be sorry about, it's okay."

"it's not," she sniffed, pulling away from his chest. "i led you on, i'm such an prick."

"that you are," he teased, "i'm fine with picking up the pieces."

"you don't ever have to. i'm such a bad person ernie. i don't deserve you."

"shh, shh. stop crying." he tried to get her mind off everything. "lets go for a walk. talk to me."

she nodded and followed him.