80: Psychogenic Amnesia

Psychogenic amnesia or dissociative amnesia is a memory disorder characterized by sudden retrograde episodic memory loss, said to occur for a period of time ranging from hours to years.More recently, "dissociative amnesia" has been defined as a dissociative disorder "characterized by retrospectively reported memory gaps. These gaps involve an inability to recall personal information, usually of a traumatic or stressful nature." In a change from the DSM-IV to the DSM-5, dissociative fugue is now subsumed under dissociative amnesia.

The atypical clinical syndrome of the memory disorder (as opposed to organic amnesia) is that a person with psychogenic amnesia is profoundly unable to remember personal information about themselves; there is a lack of conscious self-knowledge which affects even simple self-knowledge, such as who they are. Psychogenic amnesia is distinguished from organic amnesia in that it is supposed to result from a nonorganic cause: no structural brain damage or brain lesion should be evident but some form of psychological stress should precipitate the amnesia, however psychogenic amnesia as a memory disorder is controversial.

_______________________________________

Terrence

"Say that again?" She said.

"Sabi ko, magpapa-DNA test kami ni Dylan. I really can't sit and just wonder if he is my son or not. I want to know, An. Aren't you even the least bit curious?" I asked her in all honesty.

"Look, Terrence. He's a little boy who only knows one man as his dad. I don't want to destroy his memories with my husband if that DNA test says he isn't Rae's son. Hindi mo basta bastang pwedeng baguhin yun dahil lang sa resulta ng DNA test." She sighed. 

"At least give me a fighting chance. Hindi ako matahimik, An. Alam kong matagal mo nang tinanggap na si Rae ang ama ng anak mo pero kailangan kong malaman. Give me a fighting chance to claim what is mine, if he truly is my son." I hugged her from behind and kissed the top of her head. 

"And what will you do if he really is my husband's son?" She asked. 

"He will still be my son, anyway. You're mine, An. And you will marry me someday. Mark my word."

She wiggled herself out of my grasp and ran towards the bathroom. She vomited until there was nothing left from the last meal that we had. I smiled inwardly, keeping my fingers and toes crossed. 

Minalas ako noong kinunan ko siya ng dugo sa operating room dahil hindi ma-run sa machine ang mga sample. According to the person I contacted, the samples were badly hemolyzed dahil hindi agad ito nacollect at nagtagal ito sa bulsa ko. 

"Ugh.. dammit.." She wiped her mouth with a towel after gargling. "Terrence, I need paracetamol tablets. Ang sakit ng ulo ko parang pinipiga."

I handed her a tablet and a glass of water as soon as she sat on the bed. "Are you ok now?" 

"Both of my eyes got worse and I think I need new glasses. I get migraines almost everyday. I feel like I was fucking mowed over by trailer trucks. To make it worse, my left hand feels really weak for some reason. Do you think I'm still ok?" She frustratedly said. 

I handed her a glass of iced tea, ang isang bagay na alam kong hinding hindi niya tatanggihan. I massaged her temples as she sat on the chair nursing her glass of iced tea. 

Tumayo siya matapos itong ilapag sa center table at humilig sa grand piano habang hinihilot ng sariling darili ang sentido. 

I went in front of her and held her face in my hands. "Let's try to work it out, An. Whether Dylan is my biological son or not wouldn't matter because you're the mother. Masyado na nating pinatagal ang love story natin. It's time for the two of us to have our own happy ending. Don't trap yourself in your husband's memories and try to be happy."