77: Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever

Dengue hemorrhagic fever (DHF) is a syndrome due to the dengue virus that tends to affect children under 10, causing abdominal pain, hemorrhage (bleeding) and circulatory collapse (shock). DHF starts abruptly with high continuous fever and headache plus respiratory and intestinal symptoms with sore throat, cough, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Shock occurs after 2 to 6 days with sudden collapse, cool clammy extremities, weak thready pulse, and blueness around the mouth (circumoral cyanosis). There is bleeding with easy bruising, blood spots in the skin (petechiae), spitting up blood (hematemesis), blood in the stool (melena), bleeding gums and nosebleeds (epistaxis). Pneumonia and heart inflammation (myocarditis) may be present. The mortality is appreciable ranging from 6 to 30%. Most deaths occur in children. Infants under a year of age are especially at risk of death. DHF is also called Philippine, Thai, or Southeast Asian hemorrhagic fever and dengue shock syndrome.

_______________________________________

"Dylan?" I caressed his hair as he stayed on my lap, clinging on to my body like a koala. Ayaw niya akong pakawalan simula nang umuwi ako para tignan ang lagay niya. 

I was at work when the nanny called me to come home. Dylan has fever and is refusing to eat anything. When I checked his tonsils, they were swollen and red. 

"Anak, mommy has to work. Do you wanna come with me? I could find a place for you to stay. Isama natin si ate Janice para may kasama ka while mom is working." I rubbed his back and he just nodded his head. 

"Sige na anak let's go." I beckoned Janice to come over. "Ja, magdala ka ng ilang toys niya at tsaka gatas. Extra clothes na rin. Sumama kayo sa ospital para maipakita ko na rin si Dylan sa Pedia. May tonsillitis tong bata."

When we went to the hospital, Dylan was so clingy that he never let go of me and kept asking me to carry him. The whole time he was just attached to my upper body like a barnacle to a whale. I just got away from him when I checked a few patients and when I came back to do some charting, binubuhat ko ulit siya.

Good thing that my surgeries were all done in the morning and there were no emergencies this afternoon.

"Hey, Dylan. How's my little boy?" Terrence asked from the other side of the station. Hindi naman sumagot si Dylan at nakatingin lang kay Terrence. 

Terrence just cocked his head to the side, na parang nagtataka sa naging reaction ng anak ko dahil magkasundo nga naman sila talaga.

I sighed and shook my head.

"He's sick. He's got exudative tonsillitis at nilalagnat. Wala sa mood." I told him to satisfy his curiosity. 

"May masakit ba sayo, Dylan?" Terrence cooed and ruffled his hair.

"Nooooooo." My son clung tighter to me  and wound his arms around my neck. Sakto namang dumating ang nursing supervisor at sinabihan ako na as much as possible ay wag magdala ng bata dahil nga ospital ito at mas madali silang kapitan ng infection. 

"Sorry po, maam. Hindi talaga kasi mapatahan ng yaya niya pag nag-aalburoto lalo na may sakit." Hindi ko pa rin mabitawan si Dylan dahil nga hindi siya nagpapahawak sa iba. 

"Mommy... milk." Ungot ng bata kaya naman inutusan ko si Terrence na hanapin si Janice sa family waiting area at kunin ang gatas ni Dylan. 

Sakto namang may pasyenteng dumating at kailangan ko itong tignan pero halos magwala na si Dylan nang sinubukan ko itong ibaba. Terrence volunteered to check the patient who just came in but the patient told the nurse that she prefers a female physician. 

"Dylan, your mom can't carry you anymore since she has to go and work. And mommy's back will hurt because you're a big boy now." My son stared a Terrence with a sad face.