21: Transient Global Amnesia (Revised)

Transient Global Amnesia (TGA) refers to the abrupt onset of an inability to form new memories that lasts less than a day. Patients with TGA typically have no difficulties recognizing family members, and can recall things from the past. By definition, these problems clear over time.

There are several causes of TGA; the most common are migraine or a temporary interruption of the blood supply to the brain. Accurate diagnosis usually involves imaging of the brain to determine the status of the brain's blood vessels.

_______________________________________

"Mommy, can we go visit daddy tomorrow?" Hindi pa rin siya sanay dito sa Pilipinas at palagi pa rin niyang hinahanap ang daddy niya na madalas naming dalawin kung nagkakaroon kami ng pagkakataon. 

"Nei, Vi kan ikke. (No, we can't) We are in the Philippines and US is a plane ride away. I miss your daddy too, baby."

"But I miss daddy!" 

"Shhh, I know. I know. Come here and give mommy a tight hug."

I gave my son a tight hug while a drop of tear escaped from my eye . I brushed the loneliness off and stared at my son's face, the face of the little man who lights up my world. 

My thoughts flew far away into a far off place far from the reaches of humans where a man waited for me.

____________

He was busy fumbling with his keys when his phone suddenly rang. He huffed a loud breath before he took his phone from his pocket.

"Raven Liu here. Anything I can help you with?"

"Hey there. I am calling because I saw your post at the school bulletin. Is that room still vacant? I know you are looking for a flatmate."

"I mentioned that I needed a male flatmate though. Sorry miss but I cannot let you get that room."

"Look, I desperately need a room. And I know you need the money that's why you're renting it out. I can help with cleaning and cooking and everything else, please just give me the room. The semester starts four days from now and I am still literally homeless."

"I'll see what I can do. I have other offers from other people and I can't just pass up. Feel free to pass by my flat to see it. You do know that we guys are not much of neat freaks, right? You can come and see my flat this afternoon, I will be home with my cousin."

"Thank you."

After passing by the university admissions department, she loitered around the campus trying to familiarize herself with the new surroundings, getting acquainted with the facilities and buildings. She glanced back at her wrist watch and started walking towards the brick pavement, indicating that she's already stepping out of the university premises.

After walking two blocks away from the gates, she found herself in front of a brick building. She pressed the doorbell as she waited for the dark brown door to open.

"Hi there! Come in!" A petite lady with chinky eyes opened the door for her.

"Thank you. I am actually here to check the flat because I need a room to rent until I finish my residency. Is he here? I talked to a guy yesterday on the phone."

"If you don't mind me asking. Are you okay with a man as a flat mate? I mean sure, my cousin is harmless but you are still a woman and my cousin's a man whore. You know what I am hinting, right?" She said with an awkward smile.

"It's fine. I am desperate and this is the closest one from the school. He can have parties for all he wants and bring girls every night, I won't give a damn. I just need a roof over my head so I can graduate on time. Please?"