18: Diagphragmatic Rupture (Revised)

Diaphragmatic rupture (also called diaphragmatic injury or tear) is a tear of the diaphragm, the muscle across the bottom of the ribcage that plays a crucial role in respiration. Most commonly, acquired diaphragmatic tears result from physical trauma. Diaphragmatic rupture can result from blunt or penetrating trauma and occurs in about 5% of cases of severe blunt trauma to the trunk.

Injuries to the diaphragm are usually accompanied by other injuries, and they indicate that more severe injury may have occurred. The outcome often depends more on associated injuries than on the diaphragmatic injury itself. Since the pressure is higher in the abdominal cavity than the chest cavity, rupture of the diaphragm is almost always associated with herniation of abdominal organs into the chest cavity, which is called a traumatic diaphragmatic hernia. This herniation can interfere with breathing, and blood supply can be cut off to organs that herniate through the diaphragm,damaging them.
________________________________________________________________________________

Damn it.

Naiirita na ako. Rinding rindi na ako sa mga pinagsasabi ng lecturer. If it really wasn't required, I wouldn't even be here. In this world, there are three things I hate the most:

1. LIES

2. MATH

3. BORING LECTURES.

I stood up, not caring about the glances I got from my colleagues in the audio visual room. Why do I even have to sit in one of the front rows? Oh, blame the residency director. Lectures bore me to hell, unless they are updates on the practice of course.

I reached the middle aisle and started walking away from the venue. I already reached the end of the row of seats when the devil on the podium called me.

"Dr. Kaneda." The lecturer yelled. I turned to face the stage, hands in my coat pockets while chewing on a mint gum. I even had the audacity to make a bubble.

"Are you not interested? You seemed so keen on leaving."

"As a matter of fact, yes. I am excited to leave. You see, we are understaffed in the ER and God knows how much we are overworking our first year residents. Malay mo mamaya may mga magkarambolang sasakyan! They need me there!" I pivoted to leave and raised my left hand to wave goodbye while walking away.

Nice. Grand exit.

I didn't really give a damn about the topic of his lecture. It was a re-echo of what my senior discussed back in St. Raphael right before I came to this country. And to be honest, I hate repeating things. Ayoko na inuulit ang topic sa lectures because they irritate me as hell!

I walked towards the ER and was greeted by the familiar smell of...

Well, how are hospitals supposed to smell anyway.

Antiseptic.

E.R.'s fairly quiet around this time. It's a Tuesday night meaning most people are at home and weekdays are usually MVA-free days. Fridays and Saturdays are jackpots for vehicular accidents. Not that I am wishing for any but God I am itching to hold a knife. Whoever put me in the ER just to wait for trauma cases will pay for this.

"Doc, male returning patient. Andito siya 9 days ago post motor vehicle accident. Nag-overnight stay po siya, 24 hours with rotating analgesics because of one broken rib." The nurse approached me with the patient's chart.