43: Anesthesia (Revised)

Anesthesia or anaesthesia (from Greek "without sensation") is a state of controlled, temporary loss of sensation or awareness that is induced for medical purposes. It may include some or all of (relief from or prevention of ), (muscle relaxation), (loss of memory), and . A patient under the effects of drugs is referred to as being anesthetized.

Anesthesia enables the painless performance of medical procedures that would otherwise cause severe or intolerable pain to an unanesthetized patient, or would otherwise be technically unfeasible. Three broad categories of anesthesia exist:

General Anesthesia suppresses activity and results in unconsciousness and total lack of , using either injected or inhaled drugs.Sedation suppresses the central nervous system to a lesser degree, inhibiting both and creation of without resulting in unconsciousness.Regional and Local Anesthesia , which blocks transmission of nerve impulses from a specific part of the body. Depending on the situation, this may be used either on its own (in which case the patient remains fully conscious), or in combination with general anesthesia or sedation. Drugs can be targeted at to anesthetize an isolated part of the body only, such as numbing a tooth for dental work or using a to inhibit sensation in an entire limb. Alternatively, and can be performed in the region of the central nervous system itself, suppressing all incoming sensation from nerves outside the area of the block.

________________________

"Silk cutting 3-0. Hold the drain, babe."

"Wipe."

"Cooper."

Ipinatong ko sa mayo table ang kamay ko. Pang-apat ko na to ngayong araw at sumasakit na ang ulo ko.

"Are you ok, Dr. Kaneda? It's almost done. I can do the dressing if you want. You already did most of the procedure." My first assistant told me. I smiled at him and mouthed my thanks. Nagtanggal na rin ako ng gloves at OR gown bago makapaghugas ng kamay saka umupo sa gilid. I glanced back at my patient on the OR table who's already being checked by the anesthesiologist.

I sat down on the stool and entered my orders in the system before calling the AP.

"Good afternoon, doctor. This is Dr. Kaneda speaking. I just wanted to inform you that I have already inserted the drain and patient's on the way to the recovery room. I already entered the orders in the system so if you could please validate before I submit it."

"Sure, babe. As long as you avoid calling another guy BABE, I will do everything you want." Nagpanting ang tenga ko sa sinabi niya.

"Oo na. Kilala na nga nila ako dito na love at babe ang tawag ko sa lahat ng tao. Tumahimik ka na diyan at tignan mo na lang yung inenter ko sa system para makaprepare na ang pharmacy. Bye" Sagot ko sa kanya. Nangingiti kong ibinaba ang tawag sa kabila ng pagkirot ng sentido ko.

Naramdaman ko ang pagtapik ng intern sa balikat ko.

"Hey, you look pale. Are you sure you're ok, doc? Do you need help with anything?" He asked me. I shook my head and smiled. Tumayo ako sa pag-aakalang maayos pa akong makakalabas ng OR complex pero natumba ako sa pagkahilo. Buti na lamang at nasalo ako ng isang nurse.

"Thank you. Do you have any bench where I can just sit down for a bit? And if you have paracetamol tablets, please give me one." I told a him. Sinunod naman niya ako at nagmadaling umalis para ikuha ako ng gamot.

Nagtagal pa ako sa OR complex para magpahinga sa loob ng kalahating oras bago ako tumayo at magbihis ng bagong set ng scrub suit. I went to the recovery room first to check on the patient before leaving the OR complex, still with a damn headache that won't even go away.