64: Pseudocyesis

False pregnancy, clinically termed pseudocyesis, is the belief that you are expecting a baby when you are not really carrying a child. People with pseudocyesis have many, if not all, symptoms of pregnancy -- with the exception of an actual fetus.

When a woman feels an intense desire to get pregnant, which may be because of infertility, repeat miscarriages, impending menopause, or a desire to get married, their body may produce some pregnancy signs (such as a swollen belly, enlarged breasts, and even the sensation of fetal movement). The woman's brain then misinterprets those signals as pregnancy, and triggers the release of hormones (such as estrogen and prolactin) that lead to actual pregnancy symptoms.

_______________________________________

"It's negative. I'm sorry." 

Pinakiramdaman ko ang kirot sa dibdib ko. I was hoping that it was positive. 

Umasa ako na sana ay naiwan ako ni Rae na nagdadalang-tao. I was distraught. I was devastated when he died that my body turned into a hot mess. I was in so much stress that I lost my periods for two months, vomited every now and then and had bouts of migraine. 

Akala ko.... 

I hoped against all odds that I was pregnant with Rae, so I could have another piece of him with me. I was so desperate that my body manifested signs and symptoms of pregnancy even if I wasn't pregnant. 

I sighed and stood up. "Thanks, Clare."

"I know you want to have another baby with him, Anrie. I know you love him so much but your grief is not doing you any good right now. Look at you!" She gestured towards my face. "You're losing weight, honey. You lost your husband but you're spiraling downwards as well. Your son needs you too." 

Nakikita ko ang awa at pakikisimpatya sa mukha niya. 

"It will get better. Maybe not soon, but it will get better. Try to be more cheerful, for your son at least." I weakly smiled at her and left her clinic. 

_____

"Mommy, where did daddy go?" My very curious little boy asked me. Ang hirap ipaliwanag sa maliit na bata ang tungkol sa concept ng kamatayan, lalo na't masyado siyang curious. I couldn't just blurt out that his dad died of a massive hemorrhage following a torn artery!

Raven died in a shooting incident. 

An armed man just randomly started shooting in the pub where he and his friends were at. He was one of the unlucky people, 9 to be exact, to fall victim to the bullets of that crazy man. Nine innocent lives were taken because of someone who had an access to a firearm. Some of them died on the spot while my husband was alive when he reached to hospital but subsequently died because he bled out.

Tumama ang bala sa artery niya kaya sobrang dami ng dugong nawala sa kanya kahit pa salinan siya ng dalawang bag ng dugo ay hindi na kinaya dahil wala nang umaakyat papunta sa utak niya. 

From the Columbine High School shooting, to the Sandy Oaks shooting incident and then the Pulse Night Club shooting, hindi pa rin natututo ang mga tao at ang gobyerno ng Amerika. I never expected to encounter a shooting in my entire life, at least not a first hand incident but I did. I was one of the indirect casualties when my husband fell victim to it. 

It wasn't enough that the culprit died in the same way when he was shot through the head by the police. Walang resolution ang kaso, para sa akin. Mali na namatay siya sa ganoong paraan lamang dahil hindi siya nagdusa para sa siyam na buhay na kinitil niya nang walang pag-aalinlangan. Kulang ang kamatayan niya bilang kabayaran. I wanted him tortured alive hanggang sa siya na ang kusang humiling na patayin siya.