79: Molar Pregnancy

A molar pregnancy — also known as hydatidiform mole — is a rare complication of pregnancy characterized by the abnormal growth of trophoblasts, the cells that normally develop into the placenta.

There are two types of molar pregnancy, complete molar pregnancy and partial molar pregnancy. In a complete molar pregnancy, the placental tissue is abnormal and swollen and appears to form fluid-filled cysts. There's also no formation of fetal tissue. In a partial molar pregnancy, there may be normal placental tissue along with abnormally forming placental tissue. There may also be formation of a fetus, but the fetus is not able to survive, and is usually miscarried early in the pregnancy.

A molar pregnancy can have serious complications — including a rare form of cancer — and requires early treatment

_______________________________________

"Aray ko! Mom! Stop it!" I shielded my head with my hands when I was met by my mother's hand holding a bottle of water na sunod sunod naman ang pagpukpok sa ulo ko. 

"So stupid, Terrence! Sinabi ko na kasi sayong umayos ka at huwag kang mambabae tapos sasabihin mo sa akin ngayon na baka may apo na pala ako tapos di mo sigurado? How will Anrie take you back! You manwhore! Ikaw bata ka huli ka na nga sa akto last week! Nabuntis mo ba yung babaeng inuuwi mo! Naku, Terrence!" Pinaypayan niya ang sarili niya gamit ang palad niya at tinanggal ang salamin niya at isinabit ito sa damit niya. 

"Mom, would you please shut up and let me talk? Hindi mo kasi ako pinapatapos eh."

"Ikaw Te--" Agad ko akong sumabat para tumigil siya sa kakatalak. "Mother! Just shut up for once and let me talk." 

"But--" I held my hand up signalling her to stop talking. Agad naman siyang tumahimik at naupo sa sofa. 

"That girl you saw with me a week ago is not pregnant but I hope she gets pregnant though." I told her and grinned. 

"Terrence! Kung mabuntis yung babaeng yun, paano na kayo ni Anrie! Nakakastress kang bata ka!"

"Mom, that was An with me last week..." Nasamid siya habang umiinom ng kape kaya agad ko naman siyang dinaluhan. I slapped her back and gave her a glass of water afterwards. She then turned towards my direction with questioning eyes.

"What in the world, Terrence? You two are back together?"

"No. Huwag ka na lang magtanong mom. It's too complicated to even explain and I know you're not interested in my sex life."

"Oh I am, trust me. Lalo na ngayong nahuli ko kayong dalawa ni An. Ang tanda niyo nang dalawa hindi pa rin kayo nagtitino. And what is this thing about me having a grandchild? May iba ka bang babaeng nabuntis, Terrence?" 

I sighed and slouched on the other sofa. "It's An, mom. I think Dylan is my son." My mom turned to me with a serious face. "He's currently recovering from dengue. He's group A negative, mom. Pareho natin siya ng blood type and when I confronted Anrie about it she told me about the kid's paternity." 

Umayos ako ng upo at umuklo para ikulong at ulo ko sa mga palad ko. "She doesn't know whose son Dylan is. He's either mine or Raven's. I'd be damned if I find out he's my biological son and he was taken away from me for almost four years."

My mom stood from the couch and sat on the armrest of mine. I felt her hand rubbing my back to give me some comfort. "No matter how old you get, you are still my son and you will forever be my baby even if you will have your own baby." She sighed. 

"How sure are you na sayo nga si Dylan?" She asked and followed up with another argument. "Have you done a DNA test? What do you plan to do if ever he really is your son?"