44: Missed Abortion (Revised)

A missed abortion is a miscarriage in which your fetus didn't form or has died, but the placenta and embryonic tissues are still in your uterus. It's known more commonly as a missed miscarriage. It's also sometimes called a silent miscarriage.

A missed abortion is not an elective abortion. Medical practitioners use the term "spontaneous abortion" to refer to . A missed abortion gets its name because this type of miscarriage doesn't cause symptoms of bleeding and cramps that occur in other types of miscarriages. This can make it difficult for you to know that the loss has occurred. With a missed miscarriage, a lack of pregnancy symptoms may be the only sign. For example, if you were feeling very nauseated or fatigued and you suddenly don't. For most women, you likely won't be aware of a missed miscarriage until your doctor detects it during an ultrasound. A missed miscarriage is most often diagnosed by ultrasound before 20 weeks' gestation. Usually, the doctor diagnoses it when they cannot detect a heartbeat at a prenatal checkup.

_________________________________________

It's been 4 days since I last talked to Terrence. Umuuwi pa rin ako sa bahay namin pero hindi ko siya kinakausap nang maayos kahit ano pa ang pilit niyang kausapin ako. We sleep on the same bed but the intimacy wasn't there anymore. It felt like we were just roommates.

I was contemplating on my next action when my thought process was interrupted by one of the nurses who flicked her fingers in front of my face.

"Yoo hoo. Dr. Kaneda, are you still in the milky way galaxy?" Jen asked me. Binato ko siya ng ballpen dahil inaasar na naman niya ako. Umilag lang siya at tumawa.

Nagring ang extension line ng station na siya namang sinagot ni Jen. She pointed on the mouthpiece and said that the call was for me.

"This is Anrie Kaneda speaking."

"Good morning Dr. Kaneda, this is Dr. Stacy Laine. Can you please come to the office right now?" Ano naman kaya ang kailangan sa akin ng babaeng ito? Ayokong mastress, parang awa mo na. Bahala na kayo sa buhay niyo at ayoko nang makialam.

"I'll be there in five. Let me just finish with the documentation here." Binaba ko ang telepono at pinagpatuloy ang mga ine-enter kong orders.

"Jen, I'll be with Dr. Laine number 2 for a few minutes. I'll come back to check on the 4th patient maybe after 20 minutes. You can start carrying the orders out for the three patients. See ya later." 

Kumatok ako sa opisina niya pero hindi ko na hinintay na papasukin niya ako. Kusa na akong pumasok at nadatnan ko siyang nagbabasa ng mga papeles sa mesa.

"Perfect timing, Anrie. Please sit down and have a cup of tea." There was already a cup of hot tea on top of the table. Seems like she has really been waiting for me to come and talk to her.

"So why was I summoned?" Hindi ko na ginalaw ang tasa ng tsaa na nakapatong sa mesa. I want to vomit, right now. Everything that I have eaten for breakfast is rising to my throat along with the taste of bitter bile.

"I won't beat around the bush then. Are you having an affair with my husband?" She asked.

Matapang ko siyang tinignan at sinagot "What do you think?"

Pinaningkitan niya lang ako ng mata at maanghang na sinagot sa pabalang na tono. Never did I imagine that she would lose her composure like this. Sa hitsura niya ngayon parang gusto na niya akong kaladkarin palabas ng opisina niya.

"Look, we are both doctors here. We are both professionals and God knows you are a beautiful and smart woman so why are you doing this? Why are you still having an affair with my husband knowing that he is already married to me, your boss! And we are going to have a child soon!"