9: Epinephrine (Revised)

Epinephrine, also known as adrenaline., is a substance produced by the medulla inside of the adrenal gland. It causes quickening of the heart beat, strengthens the force of the heart's contraction, opens up the airways (bronchioles) in the lungs, and has numerous other effects. This medication is used in emergencies to treat very serious allergic reactions to insect stings/bites, foods, drugs, or other substances.It acts quickly to improve breathing, stimulate the heart, raise a dropping blood pressure, reverse hives and reduce swelling of the face, lips, and throat.
____________________________________

Pawis na pawis ako habang nagre-resuscitate ng pasyente at duguan na rin ang kamay at scrubs ko dahil sa talsik talsik na dugo mula sa kanya. We were on the 4th cycle and we still got nothing.

"1 mg Epi in 10,000 IV, shoot it!" I shouted while giving chest compressions. The monitor says that there's still no response from the patient.

Two minutes and still nothing. 

"Another shot, 1 unit Epinephrine. " I barked, still compressing. No response. We switched places and continued with the compressions and after another cycle.

"Come on, give me a beat!!" Still no response. I tried my hardest and got nothing as a result. Flat line from beginning to end.

"Time of death, 7:24 pm."

I faced the family and gave them my condolences and the typical line "sorry for your loss". I faced one of the nurses and told her to remove the line, clean him up a bit before calling the family closer to bid their goodbyes.

The patient's mother fell into a heap on the ER floor as she cried a river, mourning for her loss. Napabuntong hininga na lang ako saka nagtungo sa pinakamalapit na sink para maghugas ng kamay at maghilamos. 

Everything happens for a reason. It's the basic rule of the scientific universe. Everything has an explanation. If there's no explanation, then make one.

You do something to get something out of it, a favorable result. We remove tumors to cure the patient. We give medications to treat the illness if not to completely obliterate it. We remove certain parts of the anatomy to make the whole better.

Pero sa utak ko? Sa totoo lang hindi ko rin alam ang reason ko sa mga pinaggagawa ko. Nakakasakit ng ulo minsan isipin yung mga bakit. Mas naiisip ko pa nga yung "ano na lang kaya mangyayari after". I work as a doctor, that's why I always do things systematically but when it comes to my personal life, come what may na lang ako. Bahala na lahat ng heroes ng marvel kung ano man ang mangyari.

I don't believe in God, by the way. I'm no atheist. Let's just say that I lost faith and hanggang ngayon hindi pa siya narerestore. Ever since I lost that little ounce of faith in my system, it has been hard for me to even pray let alone enter a church and attend a mass.

Nakakapagod rin kasi yung nagdadasal ka sa wala, humihingi ng pag-asa sa isang bagay na hindi mo nakikita.

Sila kaya? Hindi kaya sila napapagod na makipagusap sa kanya? Gaya rin nila ako noon, desperadang humihingi ng tulong sa Diyos na di ko naman alam kung meron ba talaga o wala.

Ilang beses ko na ring hiniling sa kanya na sana ako rin naman pakinggan niya. Ginagawa ko naman ang trabaho ko bilang isang mabuting tao. Masunurin naman akong anak. Pilya nga ako dati pero hindi naman ako yung tipong nananakit ng iba. I was a good citizen  but things never really go the way I want them to be. I always work my ass off but things never really go easy. I never asked for things to be 100% perfect but I was asking him to cut me some slack, which by the way he never did.