Chapter 122

It's been a month and a bit since we've all returned to Hogwarts for the second half of our year. I'm sitting with Lily for breakfast this morning much to the other boys disappointment, and my own because she won't stop filling my plate with fruit.

I glower down at the assortment of fresh berries. "I don't trust them."

"Trust who?" Lily asks me, buttering her toast.

"Fruit. They look like they should taste better so I don't trust them."

She giggles. "Yes well, you don't have to trust them to eat them. But you do need the goodness they provide. I care about you, lovely, and I won't let you fill your body with rubbish forever."

"I happen to like my rubbish diet, thank you very much." I say, pulling out a bar of Honeydukes milk chocolate from my robes.

Her green eyes pierce into the chocolate bar. "You can't live off chocolate."

"If chocolate is what kills me, then I win."

"You're impossible."

I roll my eyes and stuff my mouth with spoonfuls of berries just to please her.

She smiles in accomplishment and her gaze is subconsciously pulled towards a particularly rowdy group of boys. A little ways down the table sits the four other Marauders, though her eyes are trained solely on one.

James catches her looking and a boyish grin slips onto his bespectacled face. He starts drawing hearts in the air at her with his pointer finger. Lily just shakes her head and reverts her attention to her plate of breakfast.

Though the faintest smile dangling on her lips doesn't go unnoticed by me.

I smirk between her and James. "Your children will be darling."

"Don't tease, it isn't funny." She puts her face in her hands to hide her flushed cheeks. "Is he still looking?" She mumbles.

I discreetly glance up to find that James is, in fact, still looking over at her in a dreamy trance. "Yep."

"My face is all warm, Chiara! Am I red?" She whispers in alarm.

I bite my lip to conceal a laugh. "As a tomato. So what is going on between you two?"

"We're...civil. I wouldn't go so far as to call us friends."

"Yet. That's easily mendable." I sing.

She doesn't have time to discuss this with me further because someone taps on the shoulder. The gentle tap startles me into spilling syrup on my white button-up shirt.

"I-I'm sorry!"

I look up to find a familiar pair of blue-green eyes staring back at me worriedly.

Evan Rosier.

"This isn't how I envisioned it happening in my head...uh, here let me fix it for you!" He pulls his wand out from his pocket and aims it for my shirt, quickly cleaning up the mess.

"Thanks, I guess." I laugh awkwardly.

Evan runs a hand through his short dirty-blonde hair and nervously shifts from foot to foot. "Could I talk to you for a moment?" He switches his gaze to Lily. "In private?"