Ch. 1

I'm finally a SENIOR!!! I never thought this would come. I go to Emma's house like I always do at the end of the year. It has become a tradition that every year on the last day of school we spend the night at each other's house. We always alternate houses each year and this year is Emma's house. I love spending the night there. It is so much better than listening to my mom and dad talk about how they are going to go on vacation without me, like they do every summer. They leave to go on a 2 months cruise and they never invite me. I have no siblings so the house is always empty all summer. Emma knows that I like to stay at her house instead of my empty home.

We get to her house and I see Aaron get out of his car with no shirt on. Wow. Has he always had abs? "Hey idiot, put a fucking shirt on!" Emma yells. "Make me!" Aaron yells back while entering the house, flipping Emma off. Emma and I follow and we see suitcases by the front door. I then see Mrs. Coleman with her purse and Mr. Coleman walking down the stairs. "Hey mom, what are you and dad doing?" Emma asks as the 3 of us stand at the door. "Well, Aaron, Emma, your dad and I are going on a 2 months cruise with Sarah's parents. We are all taking a car to the docks together." "Wait, so my parents are coming here?" I ask. "Yes, they are. You finally get to say goodbye to them this year." I sigh and see my dad's car pull up. "Christopher! David and Janet are here!" Mr. Coleman walks out of the kitchen and I walk outside. "Hey sweetie," my dad says with a smile on his face. I honestly feel like crying. "You know, I'm not surprised you guys are leaving again. You always do. But what's different about this time is that you actually came here and I bet you weren't even planning on saying goodbye, just like last year and the year before. But I do have one question. Why is it that you leave every summer without me? Are you afraid I am going to ruin your summer or something? Is that why you leave EVERY year? I never see you over the summer or the school year and I always thought that it was normal for parents to leave their kids by themselves all summer, but I guess it's not, because every year I see kids with their families and I always think, 'Wow they see their parents that's weird.' I guess this is just how you are, you need a break from barely seeing your ONY CHILD, I might add, during the school year that you need a longer break and not see me at all during the summer. I just want you to know, that I'm not mad at you. I want you two to have fun, but I also want you to know that I wish I could spend this summer with you, because next summer I will be heading off to college and I will never come back. So, have fun on your cruise, I hope it's a blast." I leave before my mom and dad can say anything. When I turn around I see Mr. and Mrs. Coleman standing behind me with Emma and Aaron at the doorway. I walk inside, Emma hugs her parents, and we head to her room. I don't want to see or hear from my parents for the rest of the summer.

We get to Emma's room and sit on her bed. She grabs the tissue box from her night stand and I grab a tissue. I start to cry and she hugs me. After a few minutes I stop crying and we talk. "I'm so sorry. I know that it sucks to have your parents leave you by yourself every year." "Honestly, I'm just really happy to have a friend like you." I hug Emma and all of a sudden, we hear a knock on the door. I look to see Aaron standing at the doorway. "So, um, mom and dad left." "Okay," Emma says. "Also, Sadie, I'm really sorry about your parents. If my mom and dad did that to me every summer, well, I would be grounded right now for the stuff I would have said." We both chuckle and Aaron heads downstairs. When he turns around I see his back which is perfect. All of a sudden, we hear the song "Fuck Feelings" by Olivia O'Brian playing through the speakers. I get off Emma's bed and go downstairs. "I love this song!" Aaron turns around and sees me. He puts is arms out indicating me to come in for a hug. As we hug he whispers in my ear, "I do too." I smile against his chest and he slightly pulls away to look at me. I look up at him and he is looking into my eyes. Wow his eyes are gorgeous! Man, I really want to kiss him right now. Stop! You can't think of your best friend's brother like that. Before I can stop myself, I lean in and he does the same. We are about to kiss when we hear Emma coming down the stairs. We pull away and I go into the kitchen. "Aaron can you turn that down?" Aaron turns it down and Emma turns into the kitchen. "There you are. What are you doing?" "I'm getting snacks." I see Aaron looking at the floor with a smirk. "What are you smiling about?" Emma asks looking at Aaron. "Oh, um, nothing. I thought of something funny." "Mhm, sure. Okay, well hurry up. We still have to choose what movie to watch." "You two can watch your movie out here. I'm actually going to my room." "Okay, fine." Aaron looks at me and then heads to his room upstairs. "What was that?" Emma asks while sitting on the couch. "What do you mean?" "Why did Aaron look at you when he left." "Oh, I don't know." "Anyway, I'm with my best friend and we are going to watch a movie to get your mind off your parents." "What movie do you want to watch?" I ask. "To All the Boys I Loved Before?" I nod my head. As we watch the movie all I can think about is how Aaron and I almost kissed. Does Aaron have feelings for me? Does he like me the way I like him? Should I talk to Emma about this? What am I thinking, I can't tell Emma? If she finds out I like Aaron it could ruin our friendship. "What are you thinking about?" Emma asks. "Just my parents." "No! You can't think about your parents! Since the movie is over what do you think will get your mind off them?" "I don't know. Maybe swimming." "Perfect. Okay so let's grab our bathing suits, change, and meet outside."

We both get up and head upstairs. I grab my bathing suit from my bag and head to the bathroom. When I pass Aaron's room, he gets up from his bed and walks to the closed bathroom door. I put on a black bikini and look at myself in the mirror. When I open the door and turn the corner I run into Aaron. "What are you doing? Why are you at the doorway?" "You look really good in that bathing suit Sadie. I mean really good," Aaron says completely ignoring my question. I roll my eyes and ask, "What do you want?" "You," he says looking me in the eyes and leaning in. Butterflies enter my stomach and all I can think about is how much I want to kiss him. We get closer and closer until our lips touch.