Chapter 14

Benny Severide pulled up to Casey's house early the next morning. He thought maybe he'd cook breakfast or take them all out. He had been spending time with Kelly lately and when he heard he was watching the triplets and thought he'd test out his grand-parenting skills for if he ever became one.

He was about to get out of his car when another pulled into the driveway. He checked his watch and frowned, it wasn't even seven yet. He watched as Jake jumped out with a grin on his face and headed towards the door. Benny climbed out of his own car, noticing the driver of the other car was a girl and watched as Jake tried to quietly unlock the door.

"Watch out for those creaky stairs." Benny said as he came up behind Jake, making him jump.

"B-Benny," Jake stuttered. "I was-"

"Sneaking in?" He asked. "Yeah, I can see that."

"No," Jake said slowly. "I was just out earlier for a run and I don't want to wake anyone up."

"Out for run?" Benny raised his eyebrows. "In jeans and a leather jacket?"

Jake swallowed nervously. "I meant a walk. I needed to clear my head."

"Well I'll make it real clear for you," Benny said. "You get in that house and take a seat at the kitchen table."

Jake nodded and turned to walk into the house. He hung up his jacket and kicked off his shoes and made his way to the table. The house was quiet and he mentally cursed Benny for catching him. He knew Shay was at work and he could hear the showering running so he could have easily got in the house unnoticed.

The shower stopped and he heard Benny make his way upstairs. He listened to the muffled voices and knew from the tone that he was dead. Benny came down the stairs a few minutes later followed by an extremely angry looking Severide.

"You better have one hell of an explanation for why you were out until seven in the morning!" He growled.

"I didn't mean to." Jake tried to explain, noticing how childish he sounded. "Rachel invited me to her house because her parents were gone and we were watching a movie and we fell asleep. Kelly," He said with sincerity in his eyes. "I swear I didn't do this on purpose."

Severide stood there, just fuming and tried to calm down. "Go to your room."

"You don't believe me?" Jake frowned.

"I don't know, Jake." He answered honestly. "All I know is that I trusted you and you broke that trust.

I have a hard job and I'm tired after a shift. You knew that and I think you took advantage of it. I trusted that you'd be home at midnight like you promised. Ellie called me to pick her up earlier than you two and went to bed. Grace managed to get home an hour before curfew. But you know, the worst part is that if my Dad didn't catch you, you would have never told me what happened. If it was all a big misunderstanding, why were you trying to sneak back in and why didn't you call me the minute you woke up?"

"I don't know," Jake shook his head. "I guess I didn't want you to get mad. I really didn't mean to stay out all night. I was tired too and we just fell asleep."

Severide looked at his Dad and sighed. "I need some time, so just go to your room until I can figure things out."

Jake frowned again before getting up and kicking the chair as he walked out of the room. He was frustrated that no one believed him. He may not have the best track record, but he was telling the truth and it upset him that Severide didn't believe him.

Severide listened to him stomp up the stairs and slam his door. He sighed and shook his head, running a hand over his face before pulling out a chair and sitting down. "Do you think he's telling the truth?"