Chapter 57

"What is this?" Severide asked, coming around the corner close to the apartment.

"We're just talking." Grace says and crossed her arms. This is exactly what Grace was worried about.

"Well, I think you should wrap it up." He said, staring at Tyler.

"Yeah, got it." Tyler nodded. "I'll see you at school, Grace." Tyler tells her.

Grace nodded and waited until he went through the door for the stairs before she turned back to Severide with a heavy glare. "Why did you do that?" She asked.

"Why are you talking to him?" He counter acted. "After everything he did and all the pain he caused you, why on earth would you want to put yourself through that again?"

"Because I love him." Grace said and her voice cracked.

"What is it about the bad ones?" He said. "Why do girls, who I think are so awesome and special, date people who only tear them down and get them into trouble?"

"Are you talking about me or Shay?" Grace said carefully, unsure how he would react to hearing her name. "You know what she told me, Kelly? Those some people do change, but unless you give them a second chance, you'll never know."

Severide was quiet for a moment. "I don't want to see you get hurt again."

"I know." She said. "But you have to trust that I will make the right choices for me."

________________

Grace went to a college party with her boyfriend Ben late at night. She tried to have a good time, she really did, but she just didn't fit into his world. He spent most of the night with the guys, goofing off and having a good time and she just felt left out. He tried his best to include her, but Grace just wasn't in the mood.

She was always amazed at how different Ben acted around his friends. With her, he was this romantic gentleman, but around his friends, he was the typical guy, showing off for his friends. He was still great to her, but she didn't like how his attitude changed and she didn't like most of his friends. It makes Ben look two sided.

She stepped out into the hall for some air and found herself calling for a ride home. She tried to explain it to Ben but they got into a fight about it. He had been drinking and he didn't understand why she wanted to leave, so she waited outside alone.

"Thanks for picking me up." She said as she climbed into his car.

"Another college party?" Mills grinned at her. "Really?"

"Yeah, I know." She sighed.

"Hey, I was kidding," He nudged her shoulder as he began to drive. "What happened?"

"I just didn't want to be there." Grace sighed. "Besides, I need talk to you about something because I need advice and opinions of someone who isn't going to act like a parent."

"Well, what are big brothers for?" He smiled at her. "What's wrong?"

She shrugged, and then she broke down. "He's not who I thought he was."

Mills looked at her and pulled over, putting the car in park and turning towards her. "Did he do something to you?" He demanded.

"No, we just got in a fight. He's so different around his friends and it just makes me wonder which part of him is the act." She shook her head, trying to pull it together. "And he's not who I want. I'm in love with Tyler, but everyone hates him and I don't know what to do."

"Okay, hey," He soothed as he ran a hand down the back of her head. "Relationships are hard, especially at your age, but there's one thing that never changes. If you're not happy, it's not a relationship worth being in."