Progress

"Very good." Master Splinter says. "Your reflex to move out of the way has improved."

"Thank you Sensei." You smile

"We will now work on your close range reflexes." Splinter says. "Such as blocking and catching."

"Don't the ball that I caught count as catching?" You ask.

"Yes, if we were still doing incoming objects." Splinter says. "But the next part of today's training will teach you how to block and catch an object that is very close to you as well as deal with the impact of the object."

"Like swords?" You ask. "Or ninja stars?"

"I was thinking Donnie's Bo staff." Splinter says.

Out of nowhere Donnie comes into view. His staff swinging towards you head,halting a few centimeters from you face.

"Now what would you do in this situation?" Splinter asks.

"Duck?" You guess.

"You could." Splinter says. "Or you could catch the staff and try to disarm him. AGAIN!"

Donnie swings again. You catch it with two hands but you're not fully ready for the impact and Donnie uses that to knock you off balance. Splinter corrects your stance and shows how you might twist the weapon from Donnie's hands. Splinter has you run through the routine again and again, focusing more on your stance more than anything else. Splinter signals you to stop.

"Thank you Donatello."

"Good job Y/N." Donnie says turning to leave the dojo.

Without warning, Donnie spins around and aims his bo staff for you legs. You jump barely missing the weapons path. Donnie swings he staff in an arc in the direction for you head. You slid into the stance Master Splinter had shown you and brace for the impact. You catch it, your feet sliding ever so slightly but otherwise you stood unmoved .

"Well done!" Splinter beams. "You have learned much today. We will resume tomorrow."

"That's it?" You say surprised. "Sorry Sensei. That came out wrong. I just expected the lesson to be longer like the others."

"When starting something new, it is wise to take small steady steps." Splinter says. "You are now getting into the sparring and more physical training. Your body is not used to such things for long periods of time. But that will come with experience."

"Yes Sensei." You say with a bow of respect before exiting the dojo.

You head to the kitchen for some water.

"Think fast!" A voice from behind says.

You spin around to see a bottle of water flying towards your face. You snatch the bottle out of the air. You look up to see Leo smiling."

"I saw some of what you did today." Leo says. " You keep this up and you'll be joining us on patrol in no time."

"Thanks Leo." You smile cracking open the sealed bottle.

"Would you like to meditate with me?" Leo asks

"I'm not so good at that yet" You say "I'm not sure I ever will be."

"You just have to find your style" Leo says

"I get board" You say "I'm not one for just sitting around thinking, or I guess not thinking."

"Clearing your mind doesn't mean not thinking about everything" Leo says "Clearing your mind helps you to focus on what you need to."

"Doesn't clearing your mind mean clearing out thoughts?" You ask

"Not quiet" Leo says "How about you join me in the dojo and I can try helping you find your style?"

"I guess so" You say "Just as long as I can get some stretching in as well"

"We can do that too" Leo says

"Great" You say "I'll finish my water and meet you there"

"Bring it" Leo says "You're allowed it in there."

"Really?" You ask "I thought with the carpet it would be a no-no"

"Nope" Leo chuckles "Bring the water, and we'll get started"