Tragedy

"Mikey" You all glare at him.

Mikey claps his hands over his mouth and mumbled an apology.

"He does have a point though" Donnie says

"He does?" Raph asks "That's his brain wave for the month."

"Hey!" Mikey protests

"And that point would be?" Leo asks

"The picture here is of a young girl in a wheelchair" You say "People usually keep pictures of family in their private office. So Mikey is probably right in guessing that."

"And all his writings make it sound like he was a man that wouldn't take no for an answer" Donnie says "He probably was trying to cure his little girl."

"Really?" Leo says "Does it say any of that in that journal?"

"Hold on" Donnie says, flipping through the book "Y/N, what is the year of your journal?"

"1978" You say

"Perfect" Donnie says "That is the one right before mine, maybe it has some stuff near the end that will tell us more."

You flip through the pages again. Looking for anything that would connect to what Donnie had found.

"All I see is how well his daughter is doing." You say

"How old is she?" Donnie asks

"A few weeks" You say

"Try near the end" Donnie says "She's about 12 in mine"

You skip to about the last quarter or so and try again. You read a bit and end up in the middle of what you were looking for. You start flipping pages backwards, trying to find the beginning of the story.

"Found it" You say, having flipped far before the halfway point. "This is not a happy story"

"Go for it" Leo says

This is just a run down of the story" You say "A doctor, his wife and their daughter were the last ones to own and live here. The doctor and his wife moved in when they were newly married and he was rising in the hospital ranks. Everyone called him a protégé and encouraged him on. The wife had a trip planned, but the babysitter for the afternoon had to leave early due to an emergency. The daughter was dropped off at the hospital as the father only had an hour or so left on his shit. He thought it would be ok for her to be in his office for that time. He settled her on his desk chair with a snack and a movie. There were a few people that had agreed to check in on her from time to time as they passed by. He was just finishing up with his last patient for the day when his pager goes off calling him to the emergency operating room. Rushing there he finds one of the nurses that had said that he'd check in on his daughter waiting for him. Apparently she had gotten board of the movie and wanted another snack. So she had pushed the chair to the bookcase and tried to reach, unable to atop the chair, she started to climb the shelves. It fell over and she was pinned beneath it. She lived, but there was to much damage to her spine, she never walked again. He began to come up with ways to get her on her feet again when his wife was killed in a car accident"

"That's where my journal ends" You finish the tail

"That is terrible" Mikey says

"He lost so much in so little time" Leo says

"He lost more then that" Donnie says "He became so obsessed with curing his daughter, he went mad. He lost his job and became a bit of a mad scientist."

"That is so sad" Mikey says

You nod your head in agreement. The fact that someone could go through so many tragic events in a few short months....you both could and couldn't imagine. You take a deep and slightly shaky breath to try and compose yourself. A thought crosses your mind.

"Donnie, what is the situation of the girl in yours?" You ask

"Give me a second" Donnie mumbles "The father seems happier as the girl adjusts to her wheelchair."

"What about the part when he decided to use those nano thingys?" Raph asks

"Neuro stimulators." Donnie corrects, still flipping through his journal

"I have some of the later stuff" Leo says "It might just be the last one"

"What does it say?" You ask

"She's gone. I killed her. If only I hadn't been so thick headed, she would still be here. I would have finished the device and she would've had her life back" Leo reads

Leo stops and the five of you look each other. More tragedy?

"What??" Mikey says "What's next?"

"That's the final entry" Leo says "There is a line that could have been an L or T but it looks like he put it down and never came back to it."

Your eyes fill with tears at the thought of him losing his daughter. He went through and lost so much, losing his daughter must have been the last straw.

"You find anything Donnie?" You ask, trying to keep your voice steady.

"Yes." Donnie says "I have his early thoughts on the device, but no calculations. He must of had a separate book for all of that. I think those were the papers I was going through earlier."

"So, what do we do now?" Raph asks "We can't just sit here all night after all that"

"We should find his work station" You say "Maybe we can find more notes"

"Good idea Y/N" Leo says "We'll head downstairs after we finish a sweep of the rest of the rooms up here"

"Head down why?" Raph asks

"I think I saw a shed in the backyard" Leo says "And a place this big has to have a basement"

"Aren't there people in the basement" You ask

"People probably in need of some smack down" Raph says

"Raph is right" Leo says "People here at this time of night and in the basement means no good. We'll deal with that later though"

"And what place have we ever been where the workstation was on the upper floors?" Donnie asks "The shed is probably our best bet"

You and Mikey take a look out the window. A medium sized shed sits in the far corner of the large backyard.

"That is definitely big enough for a lab" Mikey says "Who knows what's in there."

"Should we split up?" You ask

"We'll all stay on the same floor and no one goes off alone" Leo says "We have no clue what we'll find and we have no clue who is in this place. Not to mention the floor is unstable"

"I'm good with that" You say

"Do we have to search all the room as a group?" Raph groans "That is going to take forever"

"No" Leo says "I just meant that we have to stay on the same floor and that if you want to go to another room, you need to take someone with you"

"I wanna go with Y/N!" Mikey says, his hand shooting into the air

"Ok, Y/N, Mikey and Raph, you guys take the last of the room on this side of the hall and Donnie and I will take another." Leo says

"Keep your tphones on vibrate." Donnie says "We have no clue if those people are still around"

A silent nod and the five of you spit up. You, Raph and Mikey head into another library type room.

"Ugg, more books" Raph groans

"Just do a quick skim of the spines for any books that might be more of his notes" You say "Mikey, you go through the cabinets"

"Sure thing dudette" Mikey says